Heater placement? I bought one too big!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedudenator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 250w heater. I didn't pay attention to the length.

I was planning on putting this in my 30gal aquarium (sump) for 120gal

This thing is too long to put in the refug section, I am afraid it will stick out of the water.

I was trying to avoid putting anything extra in the 120gal tank.

If I am running a full spectrum of lights, do I even need a 250watt heater?

I think I want to exchange this for one that will fit in my refuge.

Your tank size calls for at least 300watts or more. It is normally recommended that two heaters of half the suggested wattage be used in the sump. This way if one goes on the fritz at least you will have some heat rather than risking all of your livestock.

Why not try 2- 150watt?

Charlie said:
Your tank size calls for at least 300watts or more. It is normally recommended that two heaters of half the suggested wattage be used in the sump.
I always recommend two heaters for the recommend tank size personally.

The reason is because it’s very difficult to match temps perfectly for both heaters and one always does most of the work. If you have a 150W heater trying to keep a 120 gal tank warm it would be on most of the time which will degrade its life cycle considerably. The point of the backup heater is incase one fails, not for both to try to do the work.

You want close to 3Wper gal so I’d go for two 350W Titanium Heaters (glass can break) or your current 250W and one more 350W.

Is there any reason why they can’t lay down horizontally?

theedudenator said:
If I am running a full spectrum of lights, do I even need a 250watt heater?
Absolutely, you would have too great of a temp drop during the night when the lights are off and would stress your fish. Whatever your temp is during the middle of the day with all the lights on for a couple of hours is what you should set your heaters for as long as it's in the 76-82 degree range. (turn dial until the light just goes off). That way the temp doesn’t fluctuate more then 2 degrees over night.

Back
Top Bottom