help starting a 10g refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be installing a 10g sump for my 20g nano soon to be reef tank and had some questions about what to put in it. Mainly I want the refugium to grow copepods for my scooter blenny but will want to add some macro algaes that I haven't decided on yet for some nutrient absorption. Would it be worth it to put a DSB in it or just go with a larger pile of refugium rubble for a place to grow more copepods? Also, would a 70gph pump be sufficient for this size of a tank / refugium?

In a 10 gal tank a DSB is probably impossible. By definition, a DSB is "DEEP" to provide an oxygen free environment for anaerobic bacteria. For normal sand, thats about 6"+. For mud, you'll still need about 3". What you get out of that is a BIT of nitrate control. A ball of chaeto on the other hand will not only consume nitrates, it will spur the pod population you want.
In my fuge, I have a wall of rubble right before my baffle to the return section. The purpose, in addition to housing BB and pods, is to stop any wayward chaeto strings from migrating to the return section. Works like a charm, and if you have room in your fuge section, I would do that. But, chaeto is most important IMO for nitrate control.

I have a wall of rubble right before my baffle to the return section. The purpose, in addition to housing BB and pods, is to stop any wayward chaeto strings from migrating to the return section. Works like a charm, and if you have room in your fuge section, I would do that. But, chaeto is most important IMO for nitrate control.

Thanks for the tip, and great idea about the wall of rubble. I was trying to think of a way to keep the macro algae out of the pump and I don't think that would have occurred to me.

Back
Top Bottom