How long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long can fish stay n the bags u get or take them home in. I bought 100 worth and currently am rearranging the rocks. They've been floating 2 hrs now.

I float mine in the tank for 15 min, cuz a hole in the top and try to keep them floating for the rest of 45-60 minutes. Then I release them into the tank. A habit that has carried over from my freshwater and I'm sure I'll get yelled at for passing it along but...it works for me lol.

I'm going to drip acclimate. I just rearranged rocks and need to run to store for ro. Will they b ok if they have floated for 4 hrs? Or do I need to get them n now?

I just put them n containers. I'm adding a shot glass every five mins. Hope all goes well

A few hours would be ok. I empty some of the water in the bag and fill the bag with tank water while the bag is floating.

It depends entirely on the health of the fish at the time of bagging and the method of bagging.

O2 is not added to the tanks. O2 is added instead of simple compressed air into the bag. This is how fish can survive up to a week+ in shipping.

If they were well bagged, healthy, etc. I'd expect them to be fine for 4 hours.

Drip acclimate killed my last 3 fish did a constant steady drip in a bucket with 3 fish and 2 crabs and a snail for 2 hours as people recommend on this site the only problem is the tempeture in the bucket was drastically different then tank after the 2 hours fish went in to shock and dyed !! The lfs said only drip acclimate for 15 min tops the best way is float bag and every 10min add some tank water to bag never had a problem since !!!

Here it goes.

Attachments

• image-3045899498.jpg
    image-3045899498.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-813648655.jpg
    image-813648655.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3693146186.jpg
    image-3693146186.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 94
I agree with the drip and water temp. Lost a few myself, however, drip is still better then floating. I changed the method and put the bag in the sump and drip there. Temp stays the same and you still get the benefits of slow acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom