How much current do you guys have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i have two maxi jet 1200's in my 45 gallon tank. i have them on a very low setting cause otherwise they make a ton of bubbles. I have them making no bubbles but they still turn a lot of water. Should i turn them up or not.

I have 2 hydor koralia 2's and the mag7 return from my sump in my 46gallon. I prefer the hydor koralia it is much more mellow and the ratings seem to be misleading. They koralia's have a wider flow where the maxi jets are like blasting a garden hose IMO
My powerheads don't make any bubbles. I had a maxi-jet 900 in the tank It is now in my mixing tub.

Well i have two maxi jet 1200's in my 45 gallon tank. i have them on a very low setting cause otherwise they make a ton of bubbles. I have them making no bubbles but they still turn a lot of water. Should i turn them up or not.

You can't adjust the flow on the MaxiJet. You plug them in, they put out XX gal/hr of flow. Period.

I think what you're describing is the little air tube thingie with the screw plug thingie on the out-of-tank-side of it. (That's the technical term.) That is of no use for saltwater. Throw it away. It only adjusts the amount of air injected into the water stream, and doesn't effect the actual amount of water being pumped. With saltwater, aeration happens at the surface of the tank, where you want some ripple, or in a skimmer where there's lots of air being injected into the water flow.

Depending on your setup, you probably have enough flow with 2x MJ1200s. But turning them "up" or "down" will have no effect.

I agree. By injecting air in your Maxis you are basically turning your tank into a giant skimmer. Get rid of the airline attached to the maxis and you will be fine. The only thing I would do is have them on opposite sides of the tank pointed slightly up and toward the front glass at each other. This will create a some what random flow in your tank.

yes i do have those tubes in there. I will take them off and see what happens.

to answer your original question, 3700GPH + 660GPH return from sump (36x / hour). I think 12.5x is perfectly fine, if not a bit low.. but with MJ's, try to point them at the glass or use the diffusers to prevent a "stream" of water..

Bubbles in a SW tank can serve their purpose if you have overflows. I read this on another site, seems to be working great for the person doing it in a 240Gal, not personal experience.

His explanation which makes sense: By periodically blasting air bubbles through your tank you turn it into a giant protein skimmer (as mentioned above by Ziggy), the dissolved organics will attach to the bubbles and float up out of the column, onto the surface and into the overflow where the skimmer can take care of them.

This should not be done for more then 1 minute at a time and I think he mentioned he does it twice a day, also be careful with corals, they will slime up with contact to air.

Last edited:
Manufacturer ratings on all pumps and Power heads in my 210 display = 7500 g/hr. I personally believe via experience that unless your tank is swirling like water going down a toilet you can never have too much flow.
However you can have too little.

ok sounds good. Yea with those hoses off there is no more bubbles and just current.

Back
Top Bottom