how much sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rokz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, I have a 29gal that I plan to make into a reef tank. I've read that I need 4" of sand to have a DSB. I was wondering if anyone knows about how many lbs of sand I need to order? Is there any rule of thumb like X lbs of sand per gallon? I'm planning on ordering 40 lbs of lr from liverocks.com (all I can afford right now), but I want to have my sand ready to go as soon as the lr comes in. My tank is only 18" tall and I was wonder if I'll be ok if I only have 3" of sand. Another idea was having 2-3" of sand in my 29gal and then using a 10gal refuge with a 4" DSB. Would that option achieve the same affect as only using my 29gal with 4" DSB?

Also was thinking about inverts. Once my tank has cycled, what inverts are vital for keeping things clean and neat. I was reading that certain inverts and fish should not be put in a tank w/ a DSB. Which are those. I was think of one cleaner shrimp, a few snails (not sure what kinds or how many for my 29gal), and maybe a scarlet hermit (not sure how many I can have in my 29gal).

click on the calculators link and put in your dimensions. It will tell you what amount you will need. It was dead on for my 225 gallon

Back
Top Bottom