How much will it cost to start a salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the salt and water ratio?

What's your routine when doing PWC? RO/DI water in a container, add right amount of salt then in the tank? No need for dechlorinator because of the RO/DI?
I use coralife salt and it mixes 2 cups of salt to 5 gallons of water

Thank you all for the information. Now I need to buy the equipments as much as I can afford at a time to get things started. I need to start with the overflow.

A overflow is just basically a way to get water down to the sump by means of a siphon I dont have a siphon break in my overflow because it can only drain down so far before the water can not get into the overflow On my return I have a siphon break hole drilled just below the water line so if the pump quits for any reason it will only siphon back through the return line until it gets down to that hole instead of draing all the way to the bottom of my return

How did you build your sump? What else do you gave in it? What hose did you use for the return pump? Thanks.

I used acrylic panels and siliconed them in place its a lttle messy but not to bad for a diy'er I have live sand and rock along with chaeto in the center area I also have my skimmer in that part to. I plumbed all mine with hard pvc which works fine but if I had it to do ove I would use flexible pvc in addition to the hard pvc for two reason 1 its easier to work with and get into position 2 you dont have to put as many 90 degree bends in your return keeping your head pressure to a minimum

On the acrylic I used 1/4 inch I tried 1/8 on a previous one which worked for a little while but it had enough flex in it with water against it that it stareted pulling it lose from the silicon

Rscomia said:
I used acrylic panels and siliconed them in place its a lttle messy but not to bad for a diy'er I have live sand and rock along with chaeto in the center area I also have my skimmer in that part to. I plumbed all mine with hard pvc which works fine but if I had it to do ove I would use flexible pvc in addition to the hard pvc for two reason 1 its easier to work with and get into position 2 you dont have to put as many 90 degree bends in your return keeping your head pressure to a minimum

With the live sand and rock in the sump and chaeto(seaweed that absorbs what?), do you need a fixture for the sump? Where can you buy those acrylic panels? I will also check on flexible PVCs. Thanks.

Rscomia said:
On the acrylic I used 1/4 inch I tried 1/8 on a previous one which worked for a little while but it had enough flex in it with water against it that it stareted pulling it lose from the silicon

I see. What did you use to cut the acrylic?

If you already have all supplies for fw, switching to sw can be done for under 100 bucks. After that you just have to buy salt mix and keep the right salinity. It is more work than fw and costs more per month but can be worth it. Good luck

I dont know that it is absolutely necessary to have a fixture but it wouldn't take much of one all I have on mine is one of the cheap porcelin pull string light fixtures with a screw in 6500k daylight bulb from wally world I got my acrylic from a local glass shop and they cut it to the size that I needed I have also seen sheets of it at lowes and home depot but not sure if they cut it to the size you need so you would have to be able to cut it yourself then

5gallontank said:
If you already have all supplies for fw, switching to sw can be done for under 100 bucks. After that you just have to buy salt mix and keep the right salinity. It is more work than fw and costs more per month but can be worth it. Good luck

I'm actually have to buy everything for a new(for me) tank. I don't have a skimmer and need a sump and overflow. It will still cost me but I'm taking this slowly as i can. Buying all the necessary stuff before even starting the cycle. Thank you :)

Rscomia said:
I dont know that it is absolutely necessary to have a fixture but it wouldn't take much of one all I have on mine is one of the cheap porcelin pull string light fixtures with a screw in 6500k daylight bulb from wally world I got my acrylic from a local glass shop and they cut it to the size that I needed I have also seen sheets of it at lowes and home depot but not sure if they cut it to the size you need so you would have to be able to cut it yourself then

Ok, I have plenty of those CFL lamps :) . Is the live rock and sand for biological filtration? What do you have for mechanical?

Yes that it what live sand and rock is for I have filter media where the water runs into my sump along with bio balls but I would recommend using live rock rubble instead of bio balls because they can become a nitrate factory (I intend on switching mine ) The filter I get is from my lfs they get it in bulk and just cut me off pieces of it I would watch craigslist for rock that is where I found mine and got a really good deal on it cause the guy just wanted rid of it I got 270 lbs for $120

Rscomia said:
Yes that it what live sand and rock is for I have filter media where the water runs into my sump along with bio balls but I would recommend using live rock rubble instead of bio balls because they can become a nitrate factory (I intend on switching mine ) The filter I get is from my lfs they get it in bulk and just cut me off pieces of it I would watch craigslist for rock that is where I found mine and got a really good deal on it cause the guy just wanted rid of it I got 270 lbs for $120

Where can you buy LR rubble? Buy a big one and crush it? Or are there some for sale? Does it go like this: water from tank, filter media, LR rubble, LR, LS, chaeto then back to the tank? Did I miss anything or is it in wrong order?

Back
Top Bottom