hydrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so im setting up a 10 gallon tank and i buy a in tank hydrometer to see what its at in the tank and a 50 lbs bag of instant ocean and i put in one of the red solo cups full in just to see where it goes and then adjust it accordingly (i know im not supposed to mix it in tank but cuz im just setting it up didnt think itd provide a problem) but i go to check a few days later and the hydrometer hasnt moved so i add bout half a cup in and same thing nothing i know its all all dissolving cuz i dont see any but its not moving am i just not adding enough or is it the hydrometer. and there is like bubbles at the top looks like foam sorta but not really and there is sand stuck to the side of the tank on the water line any idea why cuz i used water in my freshwater and nothing like this happened thanks.

I am not a saltwater expert, but I believe that hydrometers are not very accurate and more peoples use refractometers for more correct readings.

i cant do it at all if i have a hydrometer? cant really get refractometer for now for a variety of reasons so i kinda have to stick with a hydrometer its just not showing a reading at all is my thing if i had some reading id be fine. btw idk if this helps but this is the one i got
Oceanic BioCube Mini Hydrometer

You have to mix instant ocean at a half cup per gallon....so for a 10 gallon...you'd need 5 cups of salt..level measuring cups. I understand you can't get a refractometer for a few reasons, but try to atleast get an out of tank hydrometer..I wouldn't trust an in tank hydrometer enough to measure st in a toilet. Hope those helps

yes thank you, and if i went ahead and got live rock would it need to go in the tank or could i keep it in the bucket they give it to me in until the salinity is stable

hollywood11892 said:
yes thank you, and if i went ahead and got live rock would it need to go in the tank or could i keep it in the bucket they give it to me in until the salinity is stable

If you don't put those "live rock" in water of at least 1.020 the bacteria that's on that rock will be dead :-/
I say take out the hydrometer wash it in RO/DI water and then put it back in .....

Back
Top Bottom