I just started a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

609tsmith1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I just started a 75 gallon aquarium yesterday and I added 4 damsels today...I have a sum pump filtration system with the back of the aquarium drilled...I have live rock rubble underneath in a filtration box I ingeniously thought of...is there any suggestions on which way to go to maximize my water flow for the buck??

I had the tank running for a day Completely setup...I am new at this but was told by a couple sources to add the damsels day two to start the process of cycling...being that they are cheap and can survive the spikes in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

That could work but most people run tanks anywhere from 4-8 weeks before they add anything other than live rock and sand. I went that route because I didn't want to risk killing anything while it cycled. There are lots of good posts on here about cycling.

I was waiting for you to say something Carey... You know way more than I do and all of the good articles to help explain things

Thank you! I read the article and no I feel pretty bad about putting them in there...I guess it is too late now and I feed them brine shrimp so that should do the same as a raw shrimp or two from them store... I will continue to test the water and hope for the best...on another note the water clarity is perfect and the 4 damsels I do have in there seem to be living great...I will keep posting..thanks again

If you don't have a liquid test kit now is the time to go get one. :)

You will most likely have ammonia readings and nitrites due to the fish so when you do test and get ammonia coming up you will have to do a water change. You will have to keep this up for a few weeks though and you may lose a fish if you don't keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Nitrates at this point I wouldnt be overly concerned with.

Here are some other articles you might find helpful

Tap Water in the Saltwater Reef
Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
Ammonia conversion to nitrate

This one is a good one about fish IN cycling

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

Hope these help and good luck with your new tank! :)

Thank you for those articles as well...I have been doing a lot of research now and feel a lot more comfortable with how things are going...I hard plumbed with 1" PVC the suction side of the sum pump system...also I added to small pieces of live rock for a hiding place for the damsels...my next move is added filtration as well as increased flow...just researching now the best way to go...any suggestions are more than welcome...thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom