Is water okay to add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlos8garcia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Salinity------1.024
Alkalinity----214.8 ppm Kh
Nitrate------0
Phosphate--2.0
Calcium-----<520 (15+drops)

Would I be able to add fish now? Just wanted a clown for the time being

Nitrites at 0 ph at 8.1 didn't get an ammonia test yet that's coming in the mail

How long have you been cycling? What have you been using for an ammonia source?

Only way to see if your tank is ready is to test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

+1. As stated above you'll need to be testing your ammonia, trites and trates during your cycle and I wouldn't put anything in your tank until you are absolutely positive that your tank has cycled and you know what your water params are

I used tap water with conditioner but live sand and love rock, I've been cycling for about 2 weeks now.

Don't use tap water if you plan on having any corals. If so drain and restart with rodi water. You really shouldn't use tap water for any saltwater aquarium.

What are you using as ammonia source?

Dang already had everything set up nicely ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394214532.329142.jpg no way to make the water safe?

Went to my lfs and had them test my water, I've since then added salt to make it 1.024 and all the other stats I posted before are the same

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394214917.605210.jpg

first tap water is a NO NO it has way to much phosphate
ro/di is the way to go
what size tank is that out of curiosity
just looking at the amount of live rock in the tank
I doubt it fully cycled in 2 weeks if it even did at all
what did you use for a ammonia source did you bring it up to 4ppm for your cycle and watch it drop to 0ppm
until you have a proper test kit don't add any livestock
I would hate to see everything die as the salt water hobby isn't a cheap hobby to begin with
understand no one wants to see you fail we want you to succeed and to enjoy your tank for years to come
best of luck

I wouldn't drain the tank. You should discontinue the tap water though, if you can. I would also add more rock. Live rock is your main filter and will house the bulk of your beneficial bacteria. At least a pound per gallon is recommended.
As far as the cycle goes, you may not have had any ammonia spike with that little bit of rock. You probably still need to cycle this tank.

It's a 36 gallon, used some phosguard to remove the phosphate and had some help from my dad that has had a sw fish tank for many years.

I just got the ammonia test kit in today, I won't be home until tomorrow so I'll test it then.

Back
Top Bottom