isn't turnover rate of 10xper hour....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
a bit much? i have a 90 gallon tank and it seems to me that if i am having 900 gph of water flowing through my tank it is going to create a tsunami for my fishes. do you gys with tanks as big as 90 or more have a turnover rate of 10 per hour, and if so how does it not just blow your fish in circles like when you flush the toilet? thanks
steve

also, is there a certain area or direction i want to have the return water flowing so it doesn't do all this? like maybe have it at the top or at the bottom or at the back or somewhere specific? t hank
steve

It it is creating too much velocity you can easily diffuse it by utilizing a couple of returns. What your looking for is a total flow rate of at least 10 X per hour, in my tank I get closer to 30 X turnover for total waterflow.

good, i'm glad to hear that it is not bad to have too much turnover. because i just bought a mad-drive 18 and will turning over about 1300 gph with the head hight i will have. just wanted to make sure that turning my 90 over about 13 or 14 times an hour wouldn't be too much. thanks
steve

I have 16 times flow rate in my eel tank. I have a spray bar across the top. You feel almost zero current coming out of the bar. It is all about the dispersment of the water in the tank.

Hara where do you have the spray bar facing? My XP3 shoots out of the spray bar in my 45G tall tank. nothing is in my tank yet.. after I get the lighting assembled I will get the base and live rock... but yeah thats my story...

no, one end of the spray bar is capped off....it feeds from the left side only. What you see on the right side is just the bar going up and over to hang off the back of the tank.

I"m assuming you count powerhead in turnover? About 600gph is running through my wet/dry then I have 2 270gph rotating powerheads, guess I should be doing more for my 110G?

Yes you can include powerhead flow in turnover. Make sure you calculate your return from the sump to include head pressure loss.

I have approx 14-16X flow in my 80. 10X flow is acutally rather slow in compairson to the natural currents in the reef.

Back
Top Bottom