"It's a cirolanid isopod and a fish killer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some time ago on the saltwater ID board, a photo I took was identified as follows:

It's a cirolanid isopod and a fish killer. It needs to be removed.

I removed the isopod as instructed, then didn't think anything of it because I was told it was rare to receive even one, and I likely didn't have any more.

I recently added a firefish blenny to this tank -- added him near lights-out time. When I woke up the next morning, I found another isopod attached to the fish. The fish did not survive.

Is it likely that I have some type of infestation? Is it possible that they'll be reproducing? I haven't seen any others, but I'm sure they hide well. The only other fish, a royal gramma, has never shown signs of being munched on. Is this to be worried about?

I've read the wetwebmedia.com postings on isopods, but I feel like they don't give me the kind of information I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Oh my. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I would say that the answer is yes. If there are still isopods attacking your fish, you more than likely have some sort of infestation.

I do not know how you would get rid of them other than to manually remove them. Maybe there is some sort of isopod killer that you can dump in the tank.

I am going to keep watching this thread. This should be very educational.

Once again, I am sorry about your loss. :cry:

I don't think sighting two isopods indicates an infestation. I don't know about them reproducing but, there has been alot of threads lately about recieving them in live rock orders. I think they are more typical than originally thought. I got two orders, 20lb ea of lr and both times got 4 and 5 isopods. Manual removal as you see them is the only way I know of getting rid of them. Sorry for your loss.

I've never had them but I've read about several options:
- Starving them by going fishless for about 8 months.
- I've read somewhere before that there is some chemical that kills them but also kills many other tiny invertebrates (it's not copper though).
- Getting a hardy fish as bait and removing each isopod that attaches to the fish. Rinse and Repeat.

I thought I've read somewhere to also use raw beef hearts to bait them during lights out

Back
Top Bottom