I've got several freshwater tanks...now for some salt. many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My first question is...will the freshwater bacteria that converts ammonia also live in saltwater conditions...I want to take some media out of my freshwater tanks to seed a new saltwater setup.

Will a diatom filter take all the salt out of the water?

Is it absolutely necessary to have a skimmer?

Will buying that live sand and live rock actually give me an instant cycle like the packaging says?

I want to run an emperor 400 on a 37 gallon tall, will that be sufficiant...I might add a power head also.

Is there a species of grouper that would stay small enough to live happily in a 37 gallon tank?

Is it absolutely imperative that I use RO water...I don't have any type of access to it.

Do you have any tips for me getting into saltwater?

will the freshwater bacteria that converts ammonia also live in saltwater conditions
I doubt this. It might give you a small ammonia source, due to the die-off.
Is it absolutely necessary to have a skimmer?
I have a FOWLR tank and don't use a skimmer. There is no downfall to having a skimmer and lots of folks love theirs. I believe it is recommended for reef tanks.
Will buying that live sand and live rock actually give me an instant cycle like the packaging says?
I wouldn't waste my money on the "live sand", I'm not convinced that there is anything left live in the sand from shipping to sitting on the shelf. The LR/sand combo, could possibly shorten the length of your cycle.
I want to run an emperor 400 on a 37 gallon tall, will that be sufficiant...I might add a power head also.
I am not familiar with that piece of equipment, but you will need some water movement, for gas exchange and to eliminate dead spots. I would add a ph. Water movement is also healthy for the fish.
Is there a species of grouper that would stay small enough to live happily in a 37 gallon tank?
I doubt it, plus they would eat any other fish that would fit in that tank.
Is it absolutely imperative that I use RO water...I don't have any type of access to it.
You can buy a RO unit. How does your tap water test, now?
Do you have any tips for me getting into saltwater?
Take it slow and don't skim on cheap equipment.

The freshwater bacteria is not the same and will not survive the change over to salt water. Skimmer is not absolute but is very important IMO. It removes the DOC out of your tank that later on becomes fuel for bad algeas

So I need to cycle the tank the same way as a fresh water tank?

What do I need to know about building a reef...Where can I get live rock...Is is pricey?

I was thinking of using pool filter sand and crushed coral for substate...sound like a good idea?

Stuff

Far as RO Water, many well established fish stores have told me they dont use RO Water... it all depends on the water coming out of your tap... Then again if your going to spend 40+ bux on a fish might rule bad water out from the start...Selecting RO units are a whole nother debat, let me know if your interested i can dig up a few post I had regarding the Ebay 100 units vs nonebay 200+

I am also new to salt water, my 40 gallon tank is about 7 months old now.... Dont rush into buying fish until your tank cycles, throw a raw shrimp in the tank, and keep loggin the levels.

Far as a skimmer, its not required, but it makes things so much easier.. the Empier 400 will work, but over time u'll the filters will get dirty and u'll need to clean them a lot....and eventualy u'll prob want to ditch it.

Other than that, only advice I can buy is take it super slow, my tank took like 6 weeks to cycle... I kept doing water changes, adding rock, you name it..So it delayed everything. Also buy 1 fish at a time, and let your tank adjust to the chang in the bioload... maybe wait 2-3weeks before u buy something else...

A local store had a 30% off sale, so i figured i'd take advantage... well I lost 80bux 6days later when 2 of the 3 were dead.

Far as water movement this I am still strugling with this myself, . but u dont want all your sand blasted all over the place, or the fish being whiped against the glass... if you can find the point just below those two thigns happening you should be okay...

Any other questions just ask :)

Thanks bro, I think I am leaning towards an xP1 for filtrations. It will do a much better job, be more efficient and take up less space in the tank ect ect...

I've got a really sweet heater that I got for free. It's a 300 w stainless steel ViaAqua with an external temp control...Says its good for 65 gallons in a saltwater application...

I would cycle your tank with the LR and LS in it. IMO I would use just sand and not CC. Alot of stuff will get trapped under the CC and cause nitrates and then algea will show up every where. With sand your clean up crew will easily be able to clean.

I agree with the CC, I had it and I removed it. It can limit your clean up crew as well as sand sifting fish. But, that is a personal preference.
It's a 300 w stainless steel ViaAqua with an external temp control...Says its good for 65 gallons in a saltwater application...
Hmmm, I would watch that heater, stainless steel doesn't mean it won't rust.
Where can I get live rock...Is is pricey?
I would suggest a combo of base rock (cheap and will become "live") and LR, you can probably get online or at your LFS.
I was thinking of using pool filter sand
I would suggest aragonite sand over silicate sand (this is like glass shards to the fish, but can be used).

hold up, im still in the transfer process of being a saltie. RO water is a must? where do i get an RO machine?

you can get them many places online, some LFS carry them, even Home Depot/Lowes sell them as under-sink units.

Depending on what kind and how many stages you get you can spend anywhere from $100-$300 for one. Also, many LFS and walmarts will sell RO water by the gallon rather cheaply. That might be another avenue worth looking into.

is there a good tester? every parking lot has a $.25 a gallon RO machine here. I'd like to see if they are really filtering.

Back
Top Bottom