Just bought 150g tank for a SW reef, what is the best setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obmanta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for ideas for filtration for this new tank. My last SW tank was a 29g about 10 years ago. I used a UGF for filtration. I am being told that a wet/dry system is the best way to go.

Any ideas?

Best natural filtration will be between 225 and 300 lbs of LR and a DSB. Couple that with a good skimmer an you should be fine. Otherwise yu can try a wet/dry sump.

I really dig the look of a DSB+LR (Berlin-type?) setup and the ease of maintenance. Nice denitrification, and a natural look...without all the hassle of a wet/dry. Not saying you can't go wet/dry, but I've got a bunch of fine-medium grain aragonite sand, couple hundred lbs of LR, and a Berlin XL skimmer...I'm very happy with it. Ammonia and Nitrite are always 0 (as they should be, and are in most setups) and Nitrate stays below 5ppm.

Just put a sump or Fudge underthe tank and you will add water volume (more stable tank) and provide a nice place to put a skimmer and heaters.

if you have deep pockets...

Sump, Fuge, euroreef skimmer, DSB & LR, calcium reactor, MH pendant lights (pendant so you don't have to have a giant bulky hood and/or a noisy and expensive chiller.

Well all, so far what you all are saying is the DSB & LR method, which I like. I don't feel comfortable drilling holes in the tank. and the money I would save from it, i could buy the sand and a small portion of the rock.

The belin skimmer, would it be possible for me to make a counter current skimmer from DIY plans on the internet that would work just as well?

Thanks all for the replies and please keep the ideas coming.

IMO a DSB is nice but over time it may break down and you will see the dark lawyers of the denitrification and IMO it looks like crap. A 2-3" SB is plenty with 1-2 lbs per gal of LR.
Have the tank drilled for overflows and use a sump with a skimmer, as others have said adds volume and a place to hide the skimmer and heater.
If you want to have large fish you will want to have swimming room so having 200-300 lbs of LR will limit that swimming room and displace water volume.
So you will need to decide before you buy the LR on what type of set up you want, mostly corals with a few fish a mix or fish with a few corals. Some tanks are nice looking packed full of LR but I like the open look with caves and tunnels with plenty of swimming room. I want a fish tank not a LR tank:)
Keep doing the research because it will pay off in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom