Just got my SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got myself lined up to buy a 29gal SW tank with stand/tank/sand/LR/Skimmer/filter/ect ect.

What I want to know is, What are some things I should look for to see if the LR is healthy?

I figure I should look for Coraline Algaes, but is there anything else?

Or any advice on what I should be looking for as far as tank health goes?

The tank is established, And its not new rock.

Should I still worry about smell of the tank?

Well, thats a dumb question I guess... cause a healthy tank wouldn't stink.

Oh. ok so your getting an established tank and not just components.

Healthy rock is kind of a judgment call. The more life thats on it would make it more healthy? Not really. Healthy rock in my view would be rock thats cured and is not contributing to the ammonia load.

Established as far as the cycle goes, yes. Other than that its just a bare tank inside when it comes into my posetion[ no livestock, just rock and sand ].

So basicly, just go with my gut instinct?

if the tank looks good, then it is good? Other than the ammonia load.

What I ment by healthy rock was as far as the ammount of coraline algaes I should see, and what other little spriggs of light would show the rock is " good "

Coraline is a good sign of how long rock has been in a system or at least in a healthy saltwater enviorment. The longer the rock is in a good tank with the right conditions the more coraline will be one it.

Seeing macroalgae as well as possible coral sprouts is also a good sign of healthy rock but I would not classify healthy rock as requiring those things.

Back
Top Bottom