Kio 3.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kio707

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at either a 250g that'll I'll have to build a stand or a 180g with a closed loop system and complete with stand... Advice?

Well a 250 is bigger ,,so i vote 250
If you have the chance to get it and pass on it ,you'll kick yourself later,, JMHO

Very easy to build a stand too

180 is reef with canopy and stand... 250 is just 250... Just looked at 180g

Kio707 said:
Looking at either a 250g that'll I'll have to build a stand or a 180g with a closed loop system and complete with stand... Advice?

250 for long term. What comes with the 180? Rock? Livestock? If it does- purchase both- then transfer everything to the 250 when done building the stand and then resell the 180

180g is reef ready, stand and canopy, nothing else. 250 is just tank.

Kio707 said:
180g is reef ready, stand and canopy, nothing else. 250 is just tank.

Same price? Definitely the 250 then. That way you can also build the stand just the way you want it.

Jlsardina said:
Same price? Definitely the 250 then. That way you can also build the stand just the way you want it.

180g is 350, 250g is 200... But the guy with 250g still hasn't responded. Been calling him all day...

Well they lowered the 180g to 300... Also comes with t- 5 lighting... Just three that in.

Kio707 said:
Nope... Already got a buyer.

Guess it depends on how much time you have. I tend to go for complete systems. Don't really have time to build. But I do wish I had gone with the 250g. My problem was getting it in the house.

250g fell through.. I measured it, 165g.. Smh... It's nice, but not without a stand... Getting 180g tomorrow..

Kio707 said:
250g fell through.. I measured it, 165g.. Smh... It's nice, but not without a stand... Getting 180g tomorrow..

Kio, I think you'll be happy. I love my 180g. We always wish we could go bigger. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Good luck!

I agree with Koi, we always want bigger, but I love my 180.
I really want a 400 fish-only, so I can have that Emperor I've always wanted, but I'm totally happy with my 180 reef.....for now!!

Thanks everyone... It'll be a slow build. I'm replacing the over flow boxes, piping, new sand, and new sump... You think a 55g sump will work? Also getting a 1800gph return pump for it... Any other ideas or suggestions?

I had to do the same on mine. I bought a stripped 180, no overflows or filtration.
Instead of 1 -55g sump, I did 2-30 by 12 by 16 sumps, with seperate returns and drains. This allowed me to run one as a micron/skimmer setup, and the other as a refugium. These were tied together with 2 bulkheads for redundancy, so if 1 pump failed the water would even out and still be getting returned to the tank, avoiding an overflow.
Just a thought, it gave more room laterally for equipment, and allowed for a larger refugium.
I've got 2 quiet one 4000's that return about 1500gph with head loss.

Flreefer said:
I had to do the same on mine. I bought a stripped 180, no overflows or filtration.
Instead of 1 -55g sump, I did 2-30 by 12 by 16 sumps, with seperate returns and drains. This allowed me to run one as a micron/skimmer setup, and the other as a refugium. These were tied together with 2 bulkheads for redundancy, so if 1 pump failed the water would even out and still be getting returned to the tank, avoiding an overflow.
Just a thought, it gave more room laterally for equipment, and allowed for a larger refugium.
I've got 2 quiet one 4000's that return about 1500gph with head loss.

Got any pics? This sounds interesting to me.

Sure.

View attachment 95687

Slimmer side

View attachment 95688

Refugium side

Drains run to the middle, returns go straight up to tank.
I thought to do this after I couldn't find one pre-made unit big enough. So I got 1-30" Eshopps sump and 1-30" Eshopps refugium. I just put 2 bulkheads and put them together. Each of the sumps has 2 drain holes too, so I have some future flexibility for whatever.
I have to say I really like how it came out, and this was 16 months ago, no problems yet. At least with the filtration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom