know of any good algae munchers for 15 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankhead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
Green turf algae and red string algae on the live rock are really starting to build up. The red algae are spreading and I've tried removing it by pulling it off, but it keeps coming back. I picked up two blue-legged hermit crabs, but they are more interested in what I'm feeding the fish.

I'd like to know if anyone has had luck with a fish that munches algae for this sized tank. A fish that ate the red string algae would be great! :)

Someone mentioned to me that a young yellow tang would work, but I'm sure I'd have to try and find this cool fish a new home soon enough when he started to grow.

In this small 15 gal. community tank is a false percula, pajama cardinal and firefish.
Also a few nassarius snails, astrea snails, and margarita snails.

Thanks for the suggestions
Cheers

It sounds like you have hair algae ("Green turf algae") and cyanobacteria ("red string algae").
Any chance you can get a pic?
These generally stem from excess nutrience in your tank.
What/how much/how often do you feed?
How long do yu run your lights?
Adding critters to try to solve a porblem is a band aid option and not a very good idea....not to mention a yellow tang would not fit in your tank.
Let's get everything under conteol and then we can talk about adding critters.
Can you update "my info" on the home page and tell us about your tank size/equipment and current critters?

BTW
WELCOME TO AA!!

I'll try and get a pic together. The turf algae is correct, but the red is not cyanobacteria. It is a red form of algae that extends in thin "strings" and is grouped in mats.

roka64 said:
Adding critters to try to solve a porblem is a band aid option and not a very good idea....not to mention a yellow tang would not fit in your tank.

I totally agree with this. A yellow tang will not fit in a 15 gallon tank. Liveaquaria says they need at least a hundred gallon tank. Get rid of the excess nutrients first off the bat.

What/how much/how often do you feed?
How long do you run your lights?
How old are your lights/what kind are they?
Have you tested your source water for nitrAtes or phosphates?

I'm not sure how much to cut back the nutrients so here is what I'm doing:
feed on alternate days frozen cyclopeez, mysis shrimp, and flake food. I try and feed twice a day but usually just feed once in the evenings.

feed pistol shrimp a small piece of meat (usually shrimp meat) every 2 or 3 day. Hand feed cleaner shrimp small piece of meat, and it also eats what fish eat.

Also every second or third day I'll feed 1 capful of kent marine coral excell. (I'll start using Reef Plus when this bottle is done), also 1 capful of DT's phytoplankton for the small tubeworms and blue sponge. On the day that I add the coral food with phytoplankton, I let the tank circulate for a few hours with the skimmer and sump pump off.

Waterchanges usually happen once a week, sometimes every two weeks (ouch!) I probably change somewhere between 10-20% of the water. When I first set up the tank, I didn't keep track of the water volume (not including all the LR), so just guessing on % changed.

The refugeum has some chaeto algae, but cyano started on it in the past few days. I've also been keeping a small reef crab there, but I think I'll put him into the quarentine tank. This guy came with the live rock and was always chucking the few frags I have all over the tank, so he's outa the main tank.

For lighting, I'm using a 96 w compact quad light by coralife (1 yr old), and have the timer set for 8 hrs.

A large water change was made yesterday, but I didn't test NO3 before it was done.
today nitrates tested at close to 5 ppm

"my info" section has been updated

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• hair-algae_401.jpg
    hair-algae_401.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 220
  • red-bubble_algae_180.jpg
    red-bubble_algae_180.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 218
  • red-string_algae_856.jpg
    red-string_algae_856.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 223
  • green-bubble_algae_160.jpg
    green-bubble_algae_160.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 217
How old is this tank? It sounds to me like you are over feeding the tank. DTs, flake, frozen, coral excell...that is a lot of stuff in the water that is going to feed the algae! If it were my tank I would stop adding all that stuff...as for feeding the sponges someone else will have to chime in I don't have any in my tank...I would cut back on your fish feedings to every other day for a little while..do PWCs 2 times a week...(mix the SW 24hours ahead of time) Replace those lights PC are usually good for 6-8 months and that could have a lot to do with your algea problems. Your clown will out grow that tank by it's self. Personally I say you are way overstocked!

I would have the water tested by a different test kit to verify your results. Also you may want to test for Phosphates!

Ziggy953 said:
I would cut back on your fish feedings to every other day for a little while

I agree. I`ve been feeding every other day for a little while also. About 9 yrs. IMO every other day feedings will significantly cut back on your nuisance algea by cutting out excessive nutrients.

Thanks for the advice :D
The tank is only a year old. The set-up is in "my info".

I don't understand though why a one year old compact light would promote algae as Ziggy953 said above?? I'll go ahead and change the bulb, but please explain the algae connection.

Any idea on how to get rid of the red algae shown below, besides continually picking it off? Know of anything that eats it?

I'm going to try feeding the fish every other day as you suggested.

Also as for algae control I'll cut way back on the additives.
Still add some .. (1/3) of what I do now for the tube worms.

The blue sponge is going into my quarantine tank, where I'll continue to feed it until I can trade it off.

Also water changes 2x a week sound good as well.

Thanks!

Attachments

• red-string_algae_111.jpg
    red-string_algae_111.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 188
As far as the lights the spectrum shifts in your lights the older they get. When this happens it will get to a spectrum that actually feeds the nuisance algea.

It looks like some sort of Amphiroa valonioides.
You don't want to pop that green bubble algae, as it will spread quicker. It is best to remove the piece of rock from the tank and scrub it off.

Back
Top Bottom