Light acclimation for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently bought two Ricordea frags and I have them in my 90 gallon tank. I currently have 4 x 54watts of T5HO lighting and they seem to be doing great. I just found a great deal on a 48” SunPod 2x150W HQI
Fixture by Current USA.

Will I have a problem as far as shocking the heck out of my Rics when I install this light? The frags are towards the bottom and it's a 24" deep tank.

When in doubt, wait it out. Even though they are at the bottom, a change of intensity can be damaging. I'd just change out the light and throw on some lighting screens to start acclimating them the right way. Better safe then sorry.

When in doubt, wait it out. Even though they are at the bottom, a change of intensity can be damaging. I'd just change out the light and throw on some lighting screens to start acclimating them the right way. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks.

Where can I find these lighting screens?

Any kind of a mesh will help to difuse the light. I've even heard of people using sheets of plastic wrap. They put a bunch together and then slowly take of a sheet or two at a time. Just be careful if you do that. Any HQI fixtuer will get real hot so you have to make sure it isn't going to melt the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom