Live Rock Question from Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently set up a 30 gal saltwater tank. I am new and learning. I have added 8 pounds of live rock to the tank and am watching it. My ammonia levels have just today started to go up. They are about .4ppm, it has been 0 for about a week since adding the live rock.
I used RO water to fill the tank and all labs were 0 from beginning with pH of 8.2. Used crush coral for substrate.

I read to add live rock a little at a time to allow for tank adjustments. Is this the case? I purchased the rock from my LFS and it was cured. It was wrapped in wet paper towel when I took it home and it was only out of water for about 45 minutes. Should I be seeing signs of life. It is covered with red coralline algae. There are little tan stringy things about .25 inch in some places. How long before I see some life on this. The tank has been running for about two weeks and has had live rock in it for about 1. I have not added fish. I did read to feed as if there were fish once a day to start cycle which is what I did. Am I on the right track?

I am going to add more live rock. I would like about 40-50 pounds in the end. I am running it right now with 38 watts of natural daylight bulbs and a 20 watt blue actinic bulb. Is this enough to support the live rock. I will be upgrading to Power compact in a couple of weeks because I read that I need 3-5 watts per gallon. Is 116 watts with 48 watts being blue actinic ok. I would like some low light anenomes eventually. Any suggestions

you're on the right track but I would add much more live rock now instead of eventually if it is going to be your primary method of biofiltration which is what I recomend. This is because it will all cure at once and you don't have to worry about curing lr to put in your tank. That lighting will be sufficient for softies and coralimorphs with some LPS. always do your research of course but its seems you have. it sounds like you are on the right track.

I agree that you should put all live rock in now if possible. Then let your tank cycle. They have a good article on a fishless cycle here. Read up on it.

Thanks for the input

How long before I start to see any critters on my live rock?

I will go and get the rest of my live rock asap. Thank you for the advise. I am taming the urge to get any fish until I know the system is stable and I hope my live rick will bring with it some interesting life.

You might not see any life on them and you might. the purpose of LR is the small filter feeders and benefical bacteria that will aid in the bio filtration of your tank. but some times you will see certain life like dusters and crabs and worms but just remember its the things that you cant see that are doing the job.

Thank you for your help. I am very anxious to see life. I do have quite a few tiny brown tubes. Are they dead feather dusters or may they be alive an not showing themselves. Also I have a slimy looking pale pink thing with tiny bumps on it. May this be something interesting. I watch this daily. I am obsessing.

I am glad you are enjoying the hobby. Just be patient and good things will come

Back
Top Bottom