Live Rock: Received!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, so i've got 45lbs of LR that just arrived like 5 minutes ago. Only thing is, they are like 4 pretty huge pieces. I want to make them alot smaller so i can work with them. I just threw them in my tank for now. So like.. what should i do to make them smaller? Take them out and wrapp it in a towel and use a rubber mallet?

depends on how accurately you want to break the pieces. but in short yes.
if you wanted to sort of sculpt it you can try a brick chisel and hammer. of course make sure to wear safety glasses/goggles, and gloves. (speaking from experience)

Well i dont really care about "sculpting" them, i just want them to be smaller rock like pieces so i can aquascape with them. Right now i just have like 45lbs in 4 huge pieces of rocks. I thought i was getting regular baseball size pieces but i guess not.

I put in the comments of my order to send smaller pieces...we'll see what happens! I might have 1 25lb rock...haha.

Glad you got your live rock! Can't wait to see how you aquascape with it!

Yeah me too, but i have to see what the best way to get them smaller is, because right now they are huge.

Using an old towel and a 2"x4" so as not to mark up the rock to bad. You don't want the man made look. ( if you have a rubber mallet that's not a bad idea either)

Yeah i found a hammer and chisel and went to town lol. I have them all just laying around my tank for now. When my water clears up i will start to do some rockwork. Right now the water is uber cloudy. Still looks pretty cool tho lol. Everything is in a straight line from side to side with rocks just pilled up on eachother. However there was a small rock that i made look like a square by accident. Im gonna use that one as foundation rock since im building up.

Very cool Link! Got skrimp? lol

Shrimp? Naw. Theres like.. nothing on the live rock lol. dunno. The LR looked pretty nice but i dont think its very.. live. There was alot of dead stuff on the rocks and it wasnt even cured.. so dunno.

It was just a bad cycling joke. ;)

But don't rule it out! Some very cool stuff (and some bad) develops in and on LR even if it looks completely dead. Watching the rock was surprisingly fascinating to me! :)

Oh, lol.

I sure hope so!! Thats what i was trying to go for lolol. I still have another 30lbs coming in.. so i hope it gets here by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom