Live stock for 30 gal saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am in the midst of cycling a 30 gallon half-moon tank. I am a newbie. I currently have 20 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. I am planning to get more next Saturday. I am cycling with Damsels...lfs told me to...:(. They will be going back to the store when cycling is finished...store recommended this. My question is what type of fish would you choose if you could only have 3-5? I would like to do just a few corals....tank is 30" deep. Working now on safely stacking rock for final design. There are sooo many fish to choose from, I want to make the best choices from the beginning. Thanks for any help. Julie.

Hello Julie, Welcome to AA. As far as the cycling as long as you know that just because your LFS recommended it doesnt make it right. He`s in it for the sale and most of the fish wont make it through the cycle to be able to be returned. Read our article on cycling so you`ll know what the fish are going through.

Cycle your salt tank

For cycling I would recommend the raw shrimp method, you will find lots of posts on here to do it correctly. As for corals, be sure you don't rush into anything as you are new to saltwater, usually a tank needs to have matured for a year or so before it can sustain corals, you also need to make sure you have adequate lighting and filtration. As for fish, there are many to choose from but you should be sure not to overload your tank at once, and the most important thing is that you research each fish for compatibility with each other as well as corals. If I were you I would keep it a small community tank making sure each fish is reef safe for when you are ready to introduce corals. Firstly you would want to get a cleanup crew, consisting of snails, hermits and perhaps a brittle starfish and a shrimp (just have to be careful acclimating the shrimp, suggest you drip acclimate slowly), then look into smaller fish that will thrive in your tank such as clown fish and gobies (very peaceful and active fish, suggest the fire fish goby) and I suggest you stay away from damsels once your tank is cycled, they can be aggressive and territorial. Hope this helps a little bit.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Mike, I didn't find this site until Friday night, 3 weeks into my foray into the saltwater world. I had been doing a lot of reading and both methods had their pros and cons. I did trust that the LFS was giving me proper advice, esp since they said to bring back the damsels after the cycle was complete...said they were hardy enough to take it.The damsels have been in the tank for a week...very sassy and active. They are a VERY aggressive group towards each other, so I know that I have to take them back to the store. Hopefully they will make it that far. I am also considering taking them back sooner and letting the tank finish on its own...not sure if I should do that now. Advice on that point, please. Tom...I know that I need a clean up crew, read that here, but if I start without fish, what will they have to clean up? My live rock has a few things growing on it...not sure what they are yet. I have seen a bristle star in the rock, as well as a bristle worm. We were able to identify them here. My plan is to return the damsels before harm comes to them and add more live rock. Should I get a clean up crew going then or wait until I have a fish or two? I would like a peaceful community tank. I see that I have to wait a year for the good stuff, I am patient. Really want to do this right. Thanks for the help thus far. Julie.

It`s all about the humane aspect of the cycle. It will cycle your tank but at the but at the life and health of your fish.What are your ammonia readings? Did it ever get to 3 yet. If so I would go ahead and take them back. Still read that article as it`s important that you know how to finish the cycle. At least anyway you`ll be able to direct someone to a humane way of cycling. Might want to check out another LFS in your area. JMO

You can add snails and hermits once the tank is finishing up it's cycle as they will eat from the live rock and be fine, I would get them in there before the fish. It's a very patient hobby and one thing you learn is to never believe all of the advice from a local fish store! Good luck on your tank, you should post some pics on here once it gets going.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Mike, unfortunately there is no other store within a 2 hour drive, except for a Petco. I have no ammonia in my tank, nitrates at 10, so it should be OK to take back the fish...provided I can catch the buggers! Just got an email from the tech at the LFS about a question. She said that anything alive on the live rock will die off during the cycle. Is this true? I was so excited to see some sort of plant or coral emerging....I'll be sad to see it go :(

It might or maybe not. Some things like mini dusters and things you dont want in the tank like aiptasia will stick around. Not everything will die but some will.

Back
Top Bottom