LR pests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdmartin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in research mode planning to establish a 40Gal FWLR tank.

I haven't had a SW tank in over 30 years so things have changed a bit. :wink:

My question is about 'pests' that may come with LR. Several sites talk about cleaning the rocks during the curing phase, which makes sense to me, but then they talk about removing pests such as bristle worms, and mantas shrimp.

What exactly is a pest and why? I can certainly understand something being a pest if it harms desired tenants but what harm can a bristle work do... I don't know anything about them.

What type of critters do I have to be looking for?

I am not going to setting up a reef tank, just live rock and fish.

I have no idea what kind of rock I want.

Inexpensive!!

I found a good earilier post on this subject in this forum. This site needs a better search or maybe I need a better clue how to search.

I am simply trying to learn what I need to know before I set things up.

So far I am focused on Agonite sand substrait.
Maybe getting ALL the LR at once and curring it in the tank.
Then after cycling, carefully add fish.

My other idea is to add LR gradually (easier on my pocket) cycle the tank and add one small fish, then more rock.... etc.

I have a feeling it would be easier to do the LR all at once.

I like the idea of cycling with rock. Check out base rock also. It'll become populated real soon with all the good stuff and you won't be able to tell the differnce. I also like the aragonite sand. And maybe you already know, but as you cure rock in the tank, you're cycling it at the same time.

Maybe getting ALL the LR at once and curring it in the tank.
Then after cycling, carefully add fish.

I like that one too...

My other idea is to add LR gradually (easier on my pocket) cycle the tank and add one small fish, then more rock.... etc.

LOL! In reality, this is what I did, also.

I never thought of base rock. Great tip. Some places also sell 'rubble' which sounds really good also.

Thanks for the tip.

liveaquaria.com has cheap LR and that is where I am getting mine. Where I live Fifi LR is $9 per lb. I need 45 lbs. If I go through Live Aquaria it is around $120 oppose to the $390 I was going to pay!

I am planning on using base rock mixed with my live rock when I upgrade to a larger tank. I think this is a great weay too save money.

If I had the time, I would love to start over with all base rock and watch the tank develop. Cheapest solution, but maybe a little time consuming.

HTH

John

Back
Top Bottom