LR question and helpful hints or tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottytoohottie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im planning on getting lr in my 50 gallon. Just would like to get any tips or good ideas from people that have lr. Is it alrite to get different kinds , maybe 20 or 30 lbs of each that i want to get or is that a bad idea. thanks
also, my lighting is 17w Hg, it came with my tank. i have two other lightnign rods also, 20 watt T6 dual day actinic, and ones a color intensifier. which one of the 3 should i use?

Mixing LR is fine and provides more interesting rock work options IMO. Your lights are fine for just lighting the tank but not enough for corals. I'd try out all 3 lights in different combinations till you fine the "look" you are after. It's really mostly subjective and won't affect the tank either way if FO or FOWLR.

Getting different types of LR may provide a greater diversity of fauna/hitchhikers. That is definitely a plus. And as Tecwzrd said, it also provides more shapes/textures increasing the rockscaping options.

I have fiji, tonga and Marshall Island LR in my tank. As Mike said it will get you more diversity if you get different types. Your lighting will be OK for anything but corals.

Back
Top Bottom