Many random questions about Reef Tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently own a 20 gallon freshwater tank and I'm planning to switch to a Reef tank.

1. I currently have a Fluval 206 canister filter. I've read in most places that a canister filter is a phosphate factory :p Do I get rid of it? or keep it? Get another filter? or is Live rock really enough?

2. What should be the first few things I put into my aquarium? Live Rock? Coral? Fish? Everything at once?

3. The main fish I'm interested in are, black clownfish, normal clownfish, marine betta, and sea cucumber. Is there anything about these fish that I need to know? Any incompatibilities, suggestions, or warnings?

4. How many fish can I get? I know the GENERAL rule of thumb is an inch per gallon, not too sure how it works with Saltwater.

5. A sump/refuge. Needed? I'm still not exactly sure what they are for. I also can't drill a hole in my tank.

6. What do saltwater fish eat? I have a bunch of flake food and frozen bloodworms. Are those acceptable?

7. What kind of lighting do I need for a reef tank? I currently have a 15 watt floramax light for my tank.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING GUYSSSS

I currently own a 20 gallon freshwater tank and I'm planning to switch to a Reef tank.

1. I currently have a Fluval 206 canister filter. I've read in most places that a canister filter is a phosphate factory :p Do I get rid of it? or keep it? Get another filter? or is Live rock really enough?

2. What should be the first few things I put into my aquarium? Live Rock? Coral? Fish? Everything at once?

3. The main fish I'm interested in are, black clownfish, normal clownfish, marine betta, and sea cucumber. Is there anything about these fish that I need to know? Any incompatibilities, suggestions, or warnings?

4. How many fish can I get? I know the GENERAL rule of thumb is an inch per gallon, not too sure how it works with Saltwater.

5. A sump/refuge. Needed? I'm still not exactly sure what they are for. I also can't drill a hole in my tank.

6. What do saltwater fish eat? I have a bunch of flake food and frozen bloodworms. Are those acceptable?

7. What kind of lighting do I need for a reef tank? I currently have a 15 watt floramax light for my tank.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING GUYSSSS

1. A canister works it just needs to be cleaned on a constant basis.
2. After all your equipment (powerheads, heater, etc.) you should put in sand, live rock and then an ammonia source to start the cycle. No fish or coral until completely cycled and coral will need special lighting.
3. A black clown and an orange clown will be fine but no marine betta. They get to large, after all they are a type of grouper. Sea cucumbers need an established tank of around a year IMO.
4. I have 4 fish in my 20 gallon but I have a skimmer and around 35 lbs of live rock. I say 3 until you feel comfortable maintaining water chemistry.
5. If you can't drill the tank don't worry about a sump or fuge. Not really needed on such a small tank. I run mine without either.
6. They will eat pellets, flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, algae, etc... It all depends on the type of fish. Just make sure it is a marine based food.
7. For a reef look into a t5 unit or leds. Lighting will not be cheap but that 15 watt light will not cut it for corals.

1. A canister works it just needs to be cleaned on a constant basis.
2. After all your equipment (powerheads, heater, etc.) you should put in sand, live rock and then an ammonia source to start the cycle. No fish or coral until completely cycled and coral will need special lighting.
3. A black clown and an orange clown will be fine but no marine betta. They get to large, after all they are a type of grouper. Sea cucumbers need an established tank of around a year IMO.
4. I have 4 fish in my 20 gallon but I have a skimmer and around 35 lbs of live rock. I say 3 until you feel comfortable maintaining water chemistry.
5. If you can't drill the tank don't worry about a sump or fuge. Not really needed on such a small tank. I run mine without either.
6. They will eat pellets, flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, algae, etc... It all depends on the type of fish. Just make sure it is a marine based food.
7. For a reef look into a t5 unit or leds. Lighting will not be cheap but that 15 watt light will not cut it for corals.

1. How constant are we talking about? Like once a week?

2. Sounds good!

3. Yay for black Nemo :p

4. I'd also be getting a protein skimmer so that's good. How much live rock do you think I'd be needing? 35 lbs?

5. What if I want to upgrade to a 30 gallon? Would I still be okay without a sump/refuge ?

6. Sounds good and u shall look into it!

I used to clean out my canister for my 29g tank every two weeks. I;d say you;d be good with the canister up to maybe 55g or so. At least thats what I ran on my 55g and had wonderful results. A sump is a wonderful thing to have, and in my opinion is a must on anything over 55g. But a smaller tank doesnt "need" a sump to be healthy and happy. :)

Woohoo. So I guess my only questions are how much live rock?

I'd aim for between 1 and 1.5 lbs per gallon. Kinda depends on the rock too. You dont want dense heavy rock, you want it to weigh less than it looks like it would. lol You also want porous rock as well. Rock like pukani is notoriously lighter than it appears. You want as much surface area as possible for the beneficial bacteria to adhere to as well as lots of nooks and crannies for critters to call home.

Okay that's great.

How would a. Balloon molly be in my tank? I already brave one from a freshwater and I don't want to lose him :eek:

Back
Top Bottom