MH Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
K heres the story.
I am starting a 15g salt water, and i was going to get 2*65 watt light for it. But next thursday im going to a pet store that is going out of business, and if they have MH lighting for the same price as wat i was going to pay before for the PC i might get that. What should i look for, if its 175w is that too much. I need all the help i can with this thanks. also will it cause a lot more evap. and electricity cuz i still live at hoem and dont want my rents' hydro bill going up much more.

I would think a MH over a 15g tank might be a little much. Unless you hang it really high over the tank your are taking a chance of over heating the water. MH's burn pretty hot.

I can't comment on the electricity or water bills. My wife pays the bills and I don't even know how much they are each month. :oops:

k thanx. someone else said that too. mayge i will just stick with the Pc like i was thinking in the first place.

I would prob do the 175 over the tank, but it is definately over kill. If you do put it on the tank, hang it at least 12 inches off the surface and aim a fan at it. The evaporation will definately increase, so you would need to watch that on a daily basis. The cool thing....you could keep ANY coral you wanted. Thats 11.6 watts per gallon...with the tank being so shallow, the par rating is going to be very high. Sounds like a great SPS nano to me! I say go for it.

Squishy

You can always look for a 70 watt MH, they are out there and a lot less expensive or run a 150w rather than a 175w. It is not much difference, but the ballasts will usually fire both without any modification and it will save you very little heat and light. So slightly less overkill, but still overkill.

Did I mention I love overkill!

:uzi: :rocket:

Back
Top Bottom