More LR Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any idea how long it would take for fiji rock that was living at one time to become live again after being out of water and completely dried up. i have a bunch of it in my garage from a previous tank and am wondering if it is worth using or not.

Please define what you would describe as living.

Living with bactera would take just a few short weeks. Living with all sorts of mini crustations, worms, and algae could take a few months. (would require live rock to seed the dried rock). Living in the way of other assorted growth could take up to a year.

I see no reason not to use it.

we were just hoping for nitrifying bacteria to grow on it for now to help with the amonia, if that will only take weeks that is good news since it has to cycle anyway right we have some cured live rock in there already so waiting for it to plant seeds is fine, especially if it will only take a few months or even a year. thats the fun part about owning a reef, watching everything grow over time :D

thanks a lot for your help your forum is an awsome way to learn about this incredible hobby.

if your just looking for additional bacteria surface area, then yes, the time it takes to cycle your tank will be enough (since that's exactly what is happening during the cycle :wink: )

If this old rock has been sitting in the garage for a long time, I would check it thuroughly to be sure there are no, "garage contaminents" on the rocks... such as spilled paint, grease, etc. I would also just give it a quick rinse under clean water to remove dust and dirt from the garage.... just cause I'm paranoid :)

Also, do you spray pesticides in your garage? I try not to spray anything inside the house, so I nuke the garage and the perimeter of the house to keep bugs from getting in the house in the first place. I don't keep any of my aquarium stuff in the garage as a result.

no dont usually have to spray anything in the garrage especially where the rock was kept it was covered with trash bags as well i soaked it in water for a couple days and have rinsed it a bunch too so im hoping its ok since i put it in my tank today.

thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom