My First SW Tank - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bri87swb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself as this my first post at this site and I have just started my first SW tank.

Here is a breakdown of what I have and what I have done to date:

Tank: Tenecor 50g flat back hex
Filtration: Tenecor's Simplicity Plus (see attached dia.)
Protein Skimmer: Red Sea Berlin Air Lift 60
Lighting: Coralite Dual 65 watt
Power Head
Sump Pump

On Saturday I rinsed my tank and added 3" of sand & crushed rock/gravel. Then I added 10lbs of porous (non L/r). Then I mixed 1 cup of salt per 2g as the directions stated. I have the mechanical filter (sponge) and ph buffer - crushed coral in place, but I have left the carbon out and plan to do so until the tank is cycled. I have been adding 1/8tsp of Aquarium Products Biozyme on Sat, Sun and tonight when I get home. I'll continue to do this for 4 more days as directed (unless anyone has a better idea).

Now here is where I need some advise. I have been told by my LFS to add 4 damsels to cycle the tank and add LR later. Conversely I have been reading that it's best to put the LR in now as opposed to later. I have not installed the Protein Skimmer yet. The water temp is 78 and the hydrometer is reading a little below 1.020.

My next move is going to be to raise the level of salt to approx 1.022. At this point should I remove some water from the tank or try to mix in a little more salt. If I can add it directly to the tank, how much should I add at a time and how long does it generally take for the salt to disapate?

Once I have the right amount of salt should I test perform the standard tests or should I add the LR. Would 25lbs be a good starting point? Also, when should I introduce the Protein Skimmer.

Attachments

• fbhsimplicitypluss_197.jpg
    fbhsimplicitypluss_197.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 63
My First Post and My First SW Tank

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

I started my first tank with CC and sand. The sand settles under the CC. I ended up removing the CC, I didn't like having to clean it, it also limited my clean up crew and any other sand sifting critters.
Bri87swb said:
I have been told by my local store to add LR later and by 4 damsels to cycle the tank.
Go to your local grocery store and buy two raw/unseasoned/unfrozed shrimp and throw in the tank. This is a much more humane and cheaper way to cycle your tank.
You can add the LR, at this time, but will probably get die-off, due to the toxic levels that will be present in your tank, during the cycle. I would just wait until the cycle is complete to add your LR and livestock.
From here on out, I would suggest pre mixing your water for at least 24= hours. This is how I do it:
Fri-add water/salt/ph/heater
Sat-test salinity of water
Sun-remove old SW, clean equipment, add premixed SW to tank.
This allows me to adjust as many parameters to the tank's, like pH, temp and salinity. I would not recommend adding salt directly to your main, it can cause problems.
I would also recommend a refractometerhttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+113074 over the hydrometer. It is easy to use and way more accurate.
You can also ditch the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble. Bioballs tend to becom nitrAte factories.
You also might want to invest in a QT and another ph. That hex shape reduces the amount of surface area and will effect your pH.
I would leave off the skimmer until your cycle is complete.

Thanks Roka64!

You said that I "can also ditch the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble. Bioballs tend to becom nitrAte factories.
You also might want to invest in a QT and another ph."

Should I ditch the bioballs now and switch to LR Rubble or wait until the tail is cycled? Also, I'm a newbie so do you mean by QT and another PH. I'm sure that it's a stupid question, but I want to have a succesful experience.

Just for the fun of it I ran the following test tonight:

Calcium 340ppm
KH 125.3ppm
Phosphate 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0.1 mg/l
Hydrometer shows 1.022
Water Temp is 78

Tomorrow night I will add two raw shrimp and watch the fun begin. I'll also try to find a LFS that carries LR rubble. The stores in my area are all large chain pet stores with the exception of one which sells cured LR. Hopefully they will be able to help me out.

Should I stop adding Biozyme since I am going to introduce raw shrimp to the tank? I'll retest after a couple of days and post the results. I appreciate the help as my knowledgable local resources seem to be limited (or most likely I just haven't found the right store).

Once the appropriate water conditions are established, what do you recommend next? Should I add LR at that point or should I introduce a couple of fish?

Here are a couple of current pictures.

Attachments

• pc040002_114.jpg
    pc040002_114.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 24
  • pc040003_192.jpg
    pc040003_192.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to AA :D

Bri87swb said:
Would 25lbs of lr be a good starting point?
I'd aim for 70-90 lbs of base/lr to start.

Bri87swb said:
Calcium 340ppm
KH 125.3ppm
Phosphate 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0.1 mg/l
Hydrometer shows 1.022
Water Temp is 78
Your ca isn't as important in a fowlr but 400 ppm would be more optimal.
Your KH should be closer to 140 to 180-ppm (8 to 10 ° dKH). sg/temp are fine.

Bri87swb said:
Tomorrow night I will add two raw shrimp and watch the fun begin.
Two shrimp will probably cause your nh3 to go above 5 ppm which I'd avoid. If your nh3 gets to 3 ppm I'd pull one of them.

Bri87swb said:
Should I stop adding Biozyme since I am going to introduce raw shrimp to the tank?
Yes, IME the products to help "quick" cycle a tank are generally useless and your tank will do better in the long run with a slow 6-8 week cycle.

Bri87swb said:
Should I add LR at that point or should I introduce a couple of fish?
I'd add base/lr during the cycle and if you need to add it afterwards make sure you cure it first before adding to the tank.

1-2 small fish can be added every 3+ weeks once your cycle is complete. I'd limit your adult fish length to 10".

tecwzrd said:
I'd add base/lr during the cycle and if you need to add it afterwards make sure you cure it first before adding to the tank.
Do you mean cure the base or the LR? I was under the impression base is already dead....

Mostly lr but personally I'd also recommend rinsing then soaking base rock for at least 3 days and test for nh3/no2/no3/po4 to make sure it's not leaching anything. Losing a tank due to neglect is not worth it IMO.

im new at this somewhat as well, just started mine last month. learn from my experiences. (note i started my tank Nov 12/13)

im doing a 20 gallon tank, added 20lbs approx. of base rock, then i added a bit of crab meat, and let my ammonia levels get to 8.0ppm before removing the crab.

just on Dec 2nd, a couple of weeks after launching the tank, i added LR. ammonia has gone down from 2.0 to .75 within 3 days of adding the LR

for your tank, i'd recommend (but others may know more) anywhere from 60-80lbs LR/BR, and i agree, its best when adding LR, to add it all at once.

BR is cheap, and can be the bulk of your "rock" this can be added before/same time as LR

tecwzrd said:
Mostly lr but personally I'd also recommend rinsing then soaking base rock for at least 3 days and test for nh3/no2/no3/po4 to make sure it's not leaching anything. Losing a tank due to neglect is not worth it IMO.
Cool, thanks for the info. I like to go the safest way possible!
1. When you mean leaching, your talking about nh3/no2/no3/po4, right?
2. I am getting 150Lbs of base, my tank will be cycled by then, with only sand, do you think it would be safe to put it in the main? I don't care if there is another cycle, since there is no livestock in there.

Yes, nh3/no2/no3/po4.

As long as it's used without livestock there is little harm to be done adding directly to the tank. Base shouldn't cause another cycle.

Cool, thanks again, I just wanted to make sure.

Well I added a raw shrimp to the tank last night to begin the cycle. On Saturday I am going to 50-60 lbs of LR. My LFS sells both cured and uncured for 5.99 per lb. I was orgininally planning to buy uncured, but the LFS is telling me to go with all cured LR. What do you all think?

i'd go with cured. if i understand right, uncured was cured, but was lift sitting in air long enough for all the little bugs to die, and therefore may lead to bad params.

i used cured

Well the shrimp has now been in for 24 hrs and my wife is pissed, because of the smell in the house. I'm actually quite surprised that the smell is as bad as it is. Normally I think that she is a little to sensitive, but she's right this time. It's ok though, because in the end it will have been worth it!

I did a couple of tests tonight and here are the results:
Ammonia .50ppm
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I'm excited to get some LR and more BR on Saturday! Let the fun begin!!!

Uncured LR could be used as an ammonia source instead of the shrimp. I would think the bioballs might not be too bad since you are doing FOWLR. You could always buy some base rock or uncured LR and smash it up with a hammer. Cheaper the better here of course. That is basically what LR rubble is :) Depends on what your options are here.

You could do a water change to help with the smell but it will prolong the cycle. I cured some LR once that had some major die off due to some hithhiker clams. Smelled up half my house. I did 50% water changes every day. I could not take the smell :)

Good luck.

The shrimp is decomposing fairly quickly and the smell is almost gone. The ammonia is still creeping up and unfortunately I had to leave on a last minute business trip. Therefore I will not be able to test the tank until Thursday when I get home. Due to travel and lack of uncured LR at my lfs, I am going to wait until the tank is cycled and add cured LR.

Timing is everything as they say. Since I initially setup the tank, I have had to travel from Seattle to Las Vegas during the week and the power has gone out twice. Fortunately there was only one raw shrimp, so it wasn't a big deal. I'm hoping to purchase my cured live rock tomorrow. How long should I have the LR in the tank before I add fish? Also would a couple of clown fish make a good choice for my first fish?

Thanks,

Brian

Back
Top Bottom