Need some opinions - Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please give me some insight on what is going on with my tank cycling. My guess at this point is I am just wanting things to happen too soon, but figured it couldnt hurt to ask.

9 days ago I set up my tank, filled it with water and sand and installed my PH and filters. Its 55 gal fish only, 60 lbs sand (10 of which are of the "live" store bought variety) 2 store bought rocks (not lr). Late the next day I added 2 damsels.

Initially I had trace amounts of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I am assuming it was all in my well water already. PH of the water has hovered around 8.2 -8.4. Temp stationary at 82. Salinity 1.023.

Well at this point there is 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, and .25 ammonia. All other parameters are stable. Shouldnt something have happened by now? Reading Moes book I should have seen a spike begin in ammonia around day 4 and it should be peaking now.

I havent done any water changes, and Im going to need to add a few gallons soon due to evaporation (level dropped about 3/4"). Should I add more fish to increase the bio-load or just be patient? Any ideas?

I eagerly wait your learned viewpoints.

Bonus question - You are a witch if you weight the same amount as what animal?

dont add any more fish, i would ahve gone with a fishless cycle, IMO. if your ammonia has not spiked yet , then it will, since you have fish in teh tank now, dont let the ammonia level get any higher and try keeping it at 0 after your cycle.

when i cycled my tank with damsels it did peak at about 10 days. but from what i haev learned from this site is that all tanks take a different amount of time to cycle. you probably will just have to wait longer. although i would say it's odd that you started it 9 days ago and your ammonia still has a LONG way to go before its peak. i would wait a few more days and see what happens.

Have to agree with E cat on the fishless cycle...but no sense in crying over spilled milk. Doing a water change at this point will slow down your cycle...however since you have fish in your system you are obligated to try to keep them healthy. If you have a QT tank you could always put the damsels in the QT...doing water changes as necessary in the QT and follow the fishless cycle plan for the remainder of the cycle. Its a tough decision. HTH
Travis

I also agree with what was said.

Bonus question answer, a duck. Because ducks float, and so does wood, which burns just like witches becase witches are made of wood..

RogerMcAllen said:
I also agree with what was said.

Bonus question answer, a duck. Because ducks float, and so does wood, which burns just like witches becase witches are made of wood..

hey good ansewer roger , well is he right alarmguy66?

Im going to sit back at least another 5 days to see what happens. At that point if nothing is going on I think I will add some uncured live rock and see how things react.

As to the bonus question "Tis a fair cop"

alarmguy,
Adding uncured live rock to the tank will definitely help the tank cycle...But it will also cause a major ammonia, nitrite, nitrate spike with the typical die off. If the damsels made it through that I would be surprised. I would add the live rock...but I would probably try to cure it outside the tank. I believe there is a good article in the articles section on curing live rock. good luck
Travis

Back
Top Bottom