Need suggestions for Fish for my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just opened up my 90g saltwater tank (live rock). Last week I started with a clean up crew of shrimp, snails, and crabs--along with two Clownfish. One Cleaner shrimp didn't make it 24 hours (water tested out fine), and 1 Clown is a little sluggish still (hovers around the bottom but he does come up to feed).
Any thoughts on how long I should wait to add the next "wave" of fish? I am thinking about a pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish, A Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel, a Six Line Wrasse, and 3 Yellow Tang (last to go in). I considered a Lemon Peel Angel instead of the Yellow Tang so I could add a Blue Tang, but feedback thus far indicates the Lemon Peel and Flame Angels would be a problem.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bert

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The first thing I recommend is getting a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarst" by Robert Fenner. First off, have you cycled your tank yet? If so, what method did you use? If your tank has not cycled yet, I suggest bringing back all of the livestock and using a fishless cycle. It is easy, just go to the grocery store and get a raw shrimp and throw it in the tank. It will begin to decompose and start your cycle for you. It is far to inhumane to cycle with live animals. If this is a new tank, you need to add fish very slowly. This will give the tank's natural biological filtration time to catch up with the increase in bioload. The lemon peel and other dwarf angel will fight. A 90 gal is far to small for three yellow tangs. Good luck and remember to take things slow.

Fish Suggestion Follow up

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. I did cycle my tank before adding any fish. After adding live rock (only) I tested the water for 7 consecutive days before adding the cleaning crew. The tests were excellent--the fish store also tested the water (required) before I was allowed to take the fish home.
Do you suggest a single Yellow Tang?

A week is a pretty fast cycle. Just keep and eye on water parameters for the next 4-6 weeks. Can you post your NH3, NO2, NO3, SG, temp and Ph?
the fish store also tested the water (required) before I was allowed to take the fish home.
Good for your LFS. That is refreshing to hear. A single yellow tang will be fine in a 90gal. Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start. Keep stopping by and keep us posted.

I'd recommend a small (say 20g) QT tank :soap: as you begin to introduce more fish. When I hear you talk about the next "wave" of fish, makes me a little nervous for you. The excitement of a new tank is a powerful thing, but you need to make sure you move slowly and deliberately to enjoy it more - as opposed to rushing things and the headaches that go along with it. Some are lucky, but one infected fish could spoil your entire experience - - and be costly. Read the book Lando suggested.

Good luck.

Test Results

Hi,

Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia are currently very low (lowest spot on my test strip). Ph is 8.2 (used a stabilizer). Thanks.

Nitrites and ammonia should be zero. Also, I'd recommend getting a better test kit and not relying on the strips.

Good luck.
Oh yeah, and excuse my manners- - - welcome to AA!!!! :smilecolros: The best darned aquarium website on the planet!!!!! :wink:

Clarification on the Test Issue

Sorry I wasn't clear. The test kits don't use test strips--rather a color coded card that you compare the color of the water in the test tube to. According to the color chart on the card....all readings are 0. Ph is 8.2.

Bert

Any suggestions as to what to add next?

Thanks Lando,

As I said I have a few snails, 5 HCs, 2 shrimp, and 2 clowns. Any suggestions about what to add next? Bert

Back
Top Bottom