New 180 litre setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have an aquamarine 900 with marisys 240 with 15 kilos of live rock, my system has been running for three weeks, i have 2 cleaner shrimps a small crab and I think a mushroom coral, which hitchhiked in on my live rock, I've been testing PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily and all are at zero, how will I know when my tank is ready for my first fish, will the live rock be cured enough?

Thanks in advance
David

Hiya! Welcome to the forum!

The live rock alone might not be enough to get your cycle going. :-(

There are ways around it though, cause you for sure want to cycle before you add anything alive.

I have my concerns though that you have shrimp already, not the most hardiest of creatures, they most likely would not survive a cycle. here is a link as to what is involved with cycling a sw tank.
In addition, in the article it says you can use a dead shrimp to start the cycle, but you can also dose pure janitorial strength ammonia.

here's that link

Cycle your salt tank

I'm sure you'll have questions so just post back. :) someone will be able to help you I'm certain.

Thanks for the reply, think I'll take the shrimp back to the shop, and put the ammonia in, hope it kickstarts my cycle

Thankyou

Sounds like a plan. Once you finish cycling you can just go back and get them. :) And add fish too!

Good luck, if you need anything else we are all here.

Back
Top Bottom