New 40 gallon fish & reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIESEL758

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I am new here, me and my wife are planning on doing a 40 gallon fish and reef aquarium for our kids this summer. We have freshwater experience so we know a little. We would like to put two clownfish in the tank but we are not sure what else will go well with them. Any suggestions on coral and lv would be great. Plan on not having a sump pump but enough LV to help with filtering. Also plan on using a protein skimmer. We want a minimalistic tank that is clean nice to look at. Any suggestions are appreciated as we are new to saltwater and excited to get into this hobby.

Welcome to the addictive side of the hobby. A couple of basics. Saltwater runs biological filtration through the rock and sand in our systems. We put 1 lbs of rock and sand in our tanks to accomplish this. To have a minimalist style, one would need to have a sump or another attached system with the live rock necessary to achieve this. Even with that said, being minimal with the rock cuts back on the amount of hiding spots for fish to help cut back on aggression and stress.
When it comes to what will fit in your system stock wise, I would suggest checking out liveaquaria.com to look around. Almost any fish will be fine in a tank with clowns, it simply comes down to what you like and the limitations of the tank's size.

Back
Top Bottom