My new 40 gallon high, tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After a month, can I add one gold fish? I have a 40 gallon high. not what I asked for, but it sure is big. I have 5 spotted Cory's. 3 panda cory's, 8 Glo fish, and 6 red eyed tetras.
After a month I am going to buy one Gold fish. Unless that is over crowding. Just let me know, thanks.

It's fine I can add more fish because of the size.

if it's not what you asked for, take it back and get the correct size of tank.

It's fine. I can add more fish because of the size. I like the size of the tank, it's big enough for my fish, and the fish I am going to buy in the future, after about a month. I am going to add one Gold Fish and that its all, along with my other fishies.

It's a shame you get the wrong tank. A 40 long would have been better for your fish than the high tank. As I mentioned before, fish do better with length and width than they do with height. :(
Tropical fish and goldfish do make a good mix. Their diets are different, their water requirements are different, their desired water temp is different and it's very easy for your tropical fish to attack many varieties of goldfish. And in your case, your Tetras would be the prime suspects if the goldfish was getting attacked.
As Colin mentioned, if it's a possibility, I'd still try to get the 40 long. Your fish would enjoy it better. (y)

Thanks a lot

It's a shame you get the wrong tank. A 40 long would have been better for your fish than the high tank. As I mentioned before, fish do better with length and width than they do with height. :(
Tropical fish and goldfish do make a good mix. Their diets are different, their water requirements are different, their desired water temp is different and it's very easy for your tropical fish to attack many varieties of goldfish. And in your case, your Tetras would be the prime suspects if the goldfish was getting attacked.
As Colin mentioned, if it's a possibility, I'd still try to get the 40 long. Your fish would enjoy it better. (y)

Thanks a lot, there goes my Goldfish dreams. lol. Serious thanks for letting me know. I prob buy more red eyed tetras, and a few more cory fish, that is all I would put into my 40 gallon. My question is how many more Red Eyed Tetras can I have in a 40 gallon tank? How many Corys? Just to make sure I am not over stocked.

Thanks a lot, there goes my Goldfish dreams. lol. Serious thanks for letting me know. I prob buy more red eyed tetras, and a few more cory fish, that is all I would put into my 40 gallon. My question is how many more Red Eyed Tetras can I have in a 40 gallon tank? How many Corys? Just to make sure I am not over stocked.

If you keep this tank, the gallonage is inconsequential to the cories as they need floor space not gallons. What is the length and width of this tank?

I'm not sure

If you keep this tank, the gallonage is inconsequential to the cories as they need floor space not gallons. What is the length and width of this tank?

I'm not sure. I'll take my shoe to try and guess. The Length from my shoes is 8 half. My shoe size and, it took 4 shoes to measure out the length of my tank. 8 times 4 is: 32 and it looks to me like 30 inches, but shoes do not lie. lol
I am not sure what the width is thoe. I can try to ask the lady and see if she knows, the one who bought the tank to me.

I'm not sure. I'll take my shoe to try and guess. The Length from my shoes is 8 half. My shoe size and, it took 4 shoes to measure out the length of my tank. 8 times 4 is: 32 and it looks to me like 30 inches, but shoes do not lie. lol
I am not sure what the width is thoe. I can try to ask the lady and see if she knows, the one who bought the tank to me.
Please do then post it. (y)

40 gallon high

No matter the size of the aquarium, with smaller fish you can usually do 2 fish per gallon. and as someone else mentioned, it is not a good idea to mix tropicals and goldfish. Good luck. Yes your tank will clear up in a few days....Usually the gravel goes in first then the water...let it set for a couple of day and then add your fish...Good luck. My parents ran an aquarium store for close to 50 years so I do know a little about these things....Goldfish take more space but you could still have 30 or 40 of them in a tank that size. I am 80 years old so I have learned a few things over the years!!LOL...Karen

30 or 40 goldfish in a 40 gallon tank. Thats ridiculous.

Goldfish can easily get to 10 inches, and often a foot. Imagine 30 fish each 10 inches long living in a 40 gallon tank. Typically 1 fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons and 1 comet needs 30 gallons. After that each additional goldfish needs an extra 10 gallons. And that's minimum size. Really goldfish belong in a pond where they can grow to a full adult size and live out their full lifespan.

2 fish per gallon is such a poor metric to stock tanks. 1 inch of fish per gallon has some merit, but even that is flawed. 1 inch per gallon will prevent you overstocking tanks where the tank is large enough for the fish to comfortably live and the fish are small narrow bodied. For example 10 one inch rasboras might be ok in a 10 gallon, but 1 ten inch goldfish couldnt possibly live in such a small tank.

I found this online, not sure how true it is.

The dimensions of a 40 gallon tall tank are
I found this online at yahoo search.
I also found this for a 40 gallon high. Here are the tank size.
36 x 13 x 20 (High).
40 Gallon Tank Dimensions
48 x 13 x 16 (Long)
I asked the lady who gave me the tank and she does not know what size it is.
i found my answer online.

The dimensions of a 40 gallon tall tank are
I found this online at yahoo search.
I also found this for a 40 gallon high. Here are the tank size.
36 x 13 x 20 (High).
40 Gallon Tank Dimensions
48 x 13 x 16 (Long)
I asked the lady who gave me the tank and she does not know what size it is.
i found my answer online.

As I suspected. What you have to realize is that your catfish won't care about the extra gallonage, only the extra 12" from what you have now. So you really shouldn't add too many more bottom fish like catfish. I wouldn't add more than 2-4 total to what you already have. As for the red eyes, same applies. You could have gotten more had you gotten the 40 long.
What I would consider is getting some top water fish so that your tank will have action on all 3 levels ( top, middle and bottom. ) Some suggestions for top level fish would be Pearl or Blue or Moonlight Gouramis, Paradise fish, Zebra or pearl or leopard Danios or Golden wonder killies. Stay away from the Dwarf Gourami family ( more commonly found in box pet shops) like Dwarf, powder blue, flame, Honey, sunset gouramis as many carry a virus that is incurable. Some of the other good top level fish either are more fragile or not good for your water parameters so if you ask advice, make sure the person knows your water parameters ( Ph and hardness) before they make suggestions. (y)

Could I get Guppy fish for top of my tank?

As I suspected. What you have to realize is that your catfish won't care about the extra gallonage, only the extra 12" from what you have now. So you really shouldn't add too many more bottom fish like catfish. I wouldn't add more than 2-4 total to what you already have. As for the red eyes, same applies. You could have gotten more had you gotten the 40 long.
What I would consider is getting some top water fish so that your tank will have action on all 3 levels ( top, middle and bottom. ) Some suggestions for top level fish would be Pearl or Blue or Moonlight Gouramis, Paradise fish, Zebra or pearl or leopard Danios or Golden wonder killies. Stay away from the Dwarf Gourami family ( more commonly found in box pet shops) like Dwarf, powder blue, flame, Honey, sunset gouramis as many carry a virus that is incurable. Some of the other good top level fish either are more fragile or not good for your water parameters so if you ask advice, make sure the person knows your water parameters ( Ph and hardness) before they make suggestions. (y)

Could I get Guppy fish for top of my tank? I bought some before but they died on me. My tank is cycled. I know the guppies stay at the top pf the tank. Though I am not sure they are Compatible with my other fish. Or a fish that looks like a guppy. Guppies are beautiful fish. I just had a hard time keeping them alive and I'm not sure why. I had a total overtime of 10 guppies die on me.

i found this on google/

I found this on Google it says the following.
Both Guppies and Tetras live in freshwater, warm pools in the wild; it would be best to mimic these water parameters in their tank. Due to their similar required tank conditions and temperament, these two species of fish can live harmoniously in the same aquarium.

On google it said the following.
They are one of the most peaceful species of freshwater aquarium fish and are simply awesome to keep. They get along with just about every other species, so it comes as no surprise that Cories make great guppy tank mates as well.

If I can have guppies how many?

If I can have guppies how many? I have a 40 gallon high tank. With other fish, like The Tetra's and cory fish.
Can I have 5 guppy fish in my 40 gallon tank?

If I can have guppies how many? I have a 40 gallon high tank. With other fish, like The Tetra's and cory fish.
Can I have 5 guppy fish in my 40 gallon tank?
I don't know what you are reading from but many Tetra species, including Red eyed ( Monkhausia species) would eat your Guppie's tails so not a good mix with what you have. Neons, Cardinals, Glo-lites and other small species of Tetras may be what they were trying to say but in reality, your Tetras need a different water chemistry than the Guppies would so still not a good mix.

So could I buy Neon Tetra

I don't know what you are reading from but many Tetra species, including Red eyed ( Monkhausia species) would eat your Guppie's tails so not a good mix with what you have. Neons, Cardinals, Glo-lites and other small species of Tetras may be what they were trying to say but in reality, your Tetras need a different water chemistry than the Guppies would so still not a good mix.

So is a Neon Tetra stay at top of tank? Are they compatible with my fish?
Neon Tetras spend most of their time in the middle of the tank. They'll go up to the surface to eat, but other than that, they will swim around in medium depths. This means you don't have to worry much about getting a natural-looking substrate. The fish do fine with gravel, sand, and anything else you want to use.
I need a fish that stays at top of tank. I did check out some of the fishes you mentioned but I want a fish to look fancy that swims at top of tank. If that is possible with the Tetras.. Thanks.

So is a Neon Tetra stay at top of tank? Are they compatible with my fish?
Neon Tetras spend most of their time in the middle of the tank. They'll go up to the surface to eat, but other than that, they will swim around in medium depths. This means you don't have to worry much about getting a natural-looking substrate. The fish do fine with gravel, sand, and anything else you want to use.
I need a fish that stays at top of tank. I did check out some of the fishes you mentioned but I want a fish to look fancy that swims at top of tank. If that is possible with the Tetras.. Thanks.
Check out this pearl gourami in the picture: https://www.thesprucepets.com/pearl-gourami-1381025 They have a really nice look as they get bigger with the more flowing fins.

Neons will stay mid to lower water.

How many pearl-gourami can i put in a 40 gallon?

Check out this pearl gourami in the picture: https://www.thesprucepets.com/pearl-gourami-1381025 They have a really nice look as they get bigger with the more flowing fins.

Neons will stay mid to lower water.

How many pearl-gourami can I put in a 40 gallon tank? Also do I need the Neons for the middle of my tank? I have fish for the lower of my tank. I notice my Red Eyed Tetras swim in the middle of my tank. I do not want to get too many fish. I do not want to be over crowded again.

Back
Top Bottom