New 75g setup w/sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoohooTS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am setting up a new 75g (marine) tank with a sump. I currently have a 65g with a 401 fluval and an additional hangon. I am ditching it all for a new tank with sump. I have never tried a sump before and I am in need of water flow and return locations.

I am having a 2" hole (1.5' bulkhead) drilled in the bottom w/ a 6x6 overflow kit in the back corner. I have yet to purchase the powerheads for the return and water movement within the tank. I have not instructed them to drill an return holes sine I will have to run the returns over the top of the tank.

I am looking for any suggestions on how to design the returns and location of other powerheads to maximize the flow the debris back up to the filter. More holes are not an option since I have already sent to tank away to be drilled. I have over 100lbs of rock and approx 40 lbs or more, of crushed coral and arginite for the floor. My current tank has been setup for over two years and virtually all the rock and subtrate will be transferred.

I will also be setting up a live sump. I can also use the help here since I have never used a sump system before. I have an old 15g tank the I plan to use to setup the sump.

Feel free to offer any sugestions, please ask for more information if needed.

Thank you,
TS

Honestly, If you havn't set the tank up yet, I would return it and get a Reef Ready tank w/the overflow built into it. there not that much more than a regular tank.

I am having the overflow put into the tank by the tank manufacturer. They do not sell the tank reef ready they have to send them back to be drilled and the overflow installed. I am very limited by the places to purchase in my area.

Oh ok, sorry I missread/understood. probly make the return out of some pvc to hang over the lip of the tank. Tho having the factory drill for the return would be best.

Back
Top Bottom