NEW 90 G REEF TANK - flow /lighting/ skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys.

Need some help. I'm soon to start a 90G reef tank. 48-20-20(tall).

This is all new to me as i currently have a FOWLR tank, but here is what I'm going to do with regards to sump and overflow. My main concern is if i'm gonna have too much flow, or not enough. My LFS suggested this to me today, and it sounds pretty good.

I'm gonna have a 2inch drain(internal overflow) in the center, and 4x1 inch returns drilled on the back panel of the tank, 2 on each side. Does this sound right, too much? I'll use 2 pumps in the sump to return the water back.

In my sump (25G), I will have a protein skimmer, any suggestions? A couple of heaters.

Also, I would love some suggestions on lighting, I was thinking about TEK T5 - 8 Bulbs. I will be housing the light fixture inside a canopy, so if you know of any better suggestions, then please do let me know. I've heard good things about the acquatinic constellation t5.

Thank you in advance for helping.

Viks

Personally, i use 1in PVC for drain and return on my 125.

I would get a 30 gal sump if you can. Add a section for a refugium, very useful for controlling nutrients and growing pods. Two heaters is a good idea. Get a PH monitor too if you can afford. Better than constant testing. Put a digital thermometer in the sump and one in the overflow. Good to have references.

TEK lights are good quality. I prefer ATI or Geisenman. Rhodes are the best. I do have TEK reflectors. Im not familiar with light fixtures because I made my own retro and custom canopy.

thanks. do you find the flow to be sufficient on your 125G with 1 inch drains. The lfs guy was saying to me to try get as much flow as i can, you can't have enough. And since i'm having this tank built, I could have 4 holes drilled for the returns.

thanks for the help.

I also have two koralias in the tank and a third maxijet in the back. I'd say it's enough flow for me. I did the same for my 90 as well. You can always get a flow accelerator tip. It's tapered and fits on your output at the top of the tank. Remember to drill the return output just under the water surface - 1/4" bit, down at a 45degree angle

i would have the returns come over the top. no reason to drill 4 extra holes for returns. i would use one return pump. no need for the extra heat from two. a 1000 +- gph pump should be fine. you aren't using this for flow, just return from sump, so don't go overboard with it and then have a microbubble issue.
for a protein skimmer i would want this:
Reef Octopus Extreme Series XS-200 Protein Skimmer

the tek 8 lamp is a good choice. use ATI and giesemann lamps and you can keep whatever you want, wherever you want.

Thanks. Yeah I think I'm gonna go for a 2 inch drain pipe, and 2x1 inch returns on the back panel. Thinking about 2 inches from the top. Do you think that would work pretty well?

My tank Is gonna be euro braced around the perimeter, and if it's only a aesthetic thing then I'll go with them drilled In the back wall. However if there Is a benefit of them coming over the top, what might that be?

the benefit is - when you go to sell that tank, it will be easier to sell with a single hole in it. also, there will be a lot less chance of a leak with a single hole, as opposed to 3 or 5 even.

Doug. Do you think a 2 inch drain and a 1.5 inch return in the center would be enough. Then I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the back panel.

Thanks doug. My tank is actually only 83 gallons so will go with 1.5 drain and 1 inch return. I hope that does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom