new acquisition question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you think I could keep a very small (2.5") powder blue tang in a well established quarantine tank that is only 10 gallons? He only needs to be there for 2 or 3 weeks (if healthly) before I transfer him to my main. Any thoughts?

That shouldn't be an issue for temporary use. He is definitely small enough for the time being.

Mike

thanks for the quick response....I'm giddy with excitement....always wanted a Pbt....thanks!

They are beautiful specimens. Just keep an eye on him over the next few weeks. If you want to, you can add Selcon to his food to help him build immunity against disease during qt, and after. It's good stuff.

Mike

does two or three weeks sound like a good time to QT a new fish if it appears healthy for that amount of time?

steve r

I know you won't like this, but 4 weeks minimum is what is recommended by most people. 6 weeks if they are already sick. This is the hardest part of the hobby. Bringing home that prize winning fish and sticking him in a 10g qt out of sight from the main. Once it's all over, it will be worth it though. Tangs are really suceptible to ick, so that is the largest concern with this type of specimen.
I didn't catch it until now, but will the PBT be going into a 29 gallon tank? If so, you may catch some grief on this from others. Generally as a rule of thumb for myself, I wouldn't keep a Tang in anything less than a 75 gallon, but that is my own opinion. HTH

Mike

i am not the one getting the PBT. i was just asking a general question ( hi jacking the thread :D ). thank you for the info though.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom