New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lloydxmas

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone I just signed up today but have been following this app for a while now and had a question. I am getting married in 2 weeks and after that my future wife and I will be looking to buy a house. I was wondering what would be a good starting tank! I was thinking 75gal corner flow. Keep in mind I am new to the hobby but have been reading ALOT! Thank you for your time and advise in advance!

The bigger the better!!!!! Bigger tank=more room for error. If you can get a 125 do it. It will let you keep a lot of different species you couldn't with a 75 (most tangs and triggers).

Thanks for the advice. I want to buy a tank and not have to buy a bigger one down the road cause I was afraid to buy the first time!

Go with the 125 if you can. I started a 55g few months back and I wish I had gone bigger to start. You can have more fish, and theres more types of fish to choose from too. 75 is fine if you don't have the room, but if you do, I'd go for the 125. :)

Beengirl said:
Go with the 125 if you can. I started a 55g few months back and I wish I had gone bigger to start. You can have more fish, and theres more types of fish to choose from too. 75 is fine if you don't have the room, but if you do, I'd go for the 125. :)

++1 on bigger is better easier imo to stabalize parameters it is a bigger initial setup cost but i think is well worth it

Cool thanx! I have been doing a lot of reading on the cycling process and have noticed a lot of people on here saying to use raw shrimp. How do you know when it is time to take the shrimp out?

Cool thanx! I have been doing a lot of reading on the cycling process and have noticed a lot of people on here saying to use raw shrimp. How do you know when it is time to take the shrimp out?

This question is the reason I like to use pure ammonia. You can be precise on how much ammonia you add and have much better control of the cycle. JMO.

spoonman said:
This question is the reason I like to use pure ammonia. You can be precise on how much ammonia you add and have much better control of the cycle. JMO.

I am just getting ready to cycle a 54g tank how much ammonia would you need to put in to start the cycle

Less than a capful. I would use a dropper. In my 75 with 40 sump I put in a capful and that was 4ppm. You will need less than that.

Personally I would get a Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless reef ready frag tank. This tank has killer dimensions in my opinion. It will be my next tank. I prefer shallow tanks to deep ones though as they are much easier to work in. Something to consider.

Rhino said:
Personally I would get a Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless reef ready frag tank. This tank has killer dimensions in my opinion. It will be my next tank. I prefer shallow tanks to deep ones though as they are much easier to work in. Something to consider.

Is there any other reason why one should get a shallow tank compared to a deep one?

Rhino said:

Just saw one of these the other day, I want one...

Lloydxmas said:
Is there any other reason why one should get a shallow tank compared to a deep one?

Reduced lighting cost is a plus as it doesn't have to penetrate through the deep water. Also the large footprint really lends itself to unique aquascaping. That and the fact your sleeves don't get wet when fooling around in there is an absolute plus!! :)

Qube said:
Reduced lighting cost is a plus as it doesn't have to penetrate through the deep water. Also the large footprint really lends itself to unique aquascaping. That and the fact your sleeves don't get wet when fooling around in there is an absolute plus!! :)

all of this is my reasoning for wanting one. Not only unique aquascape options but I plan to do mine as a peninsula tank seperating my living room and dining room. I ultra despise being arm pit deep as well when working on a tank. Nothing deeper than 18 inches for me. Its not because I am short either, 6' 1", deeper tanks are just more difficult to work in.

Rhino said:
all of this is my reasoning for wanting one. Not only unique aquascape options but I plan to do mine as a peninsula tank seperating my living room and dining room. I ultra despise being arm pit deep as well when working on a tank. Nothing deeper than 18 inches for me. Its not because I am short either, 6' 1", deeper tanks are just more difficult to work in.

I have a 30" deep semi circle 150g and love it theres so many different levels to it sandsifting gobies on bottom chromis and anthias swimming toward top tangs in middle sps near top softies on bottom i like having depth

+1 to going bigger to start. I started out with a 45g bow front then upgraded to an 80g and then bought a 12g nano while I had the 80g. Didn't like the that I had to frag a lot and do more work on the nano than the 80g so I transferred everything to the 80 and broke down the nano. Got big tank fever after having the 80g for about a few months and then just recently upgraded to a 120g with a 40g sump. I dis all the plumbing and built the sump myself, had a lot of fun doing it. I love my 120g. I can keep tangs without the worry that they have to compete and/ or outgrow the tank. The tanks chemistry is much more stable with less temp swing and overall just easier to maintain. My wife and 16 month old daughter just love the bigger tank and when their happy with it makes it all worth while. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't because I learned a lot through the process, but It could have been easier that's for sure. Just listen to others advise, ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research on your own.
Good luck and congratulations.

Thanks to everyone for their time on my thread! It's interesting to hear what peoples thoughts and reasons are for having their tank. Thanks again!

Lloydxmas said:
Thanks to everyone for their time on my thread! It's interesting to hear what peoples thoughts and reasons are for having their tank. Thanks again!

No problem. Just keep us posted on what you decide. Don't forget to make a build thread as well, and be sure to post lots of pics or the villagers will riot.

Good afternoon. Sorry this thread has been pretty dead. I was rather busy after getting married and lookin for a house. We have bid on a short sale and it is taking forever! But I hope we will settle soon. As for now my wife and I are getting together a list of what to buy.
We want to go with a corner flow 125 gal from a store called that fish place. It is 540 for the tank. I was wonder what size skimmer to get and size of refugium. I know the ph should be 30 to 50 times the gallons in tank.
We also were thinking about getting the taotronic leds. Any thoughts?

Well the wife changed her mind again and wants to go with the 75gal corner flow. But as in the last post still wondering the size of refugium and protein skimmer needed.

Back
Top Bottom