New to corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamSnorkler

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have 65g hex, water column is 2'3". I have 4 truelumen pro LED coral lights, 3 12k & 1 actinic blue. LFS sold me his favorite mineral & element additives. I put in 1 mushroom frag & 1 zoa frag. Wana add more tho. My parameter on everything have read perfect for last 2 months. Anyone have suggestions on coral, element additive products or feeding products?

Attachments

• image-4109226869.jpg
    image-4109226869.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2714808580.jpg
    image-2714808580.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 106
  • image-48510809.jpg
    image-48510809.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 86
To be honest i don't add any elements or food for my corals. :-D

If you do your water changes you will be replenishing the trace elements that are consumed.

have you considered any LPS corals like duncans or candycanes? Those are some good starters and really pretty

I'm new to all of this but I've been using Kent Marine Nano Reef. I have a 36 gallon tank and it has kept my water perfect and have no problems with my coral.

Usually you don't have to dose anything unless you have a ton, and I mean a ton of coral that deplete the trace elements faster than your water changes can replenish. But if you are happy using what you are then that's cool too. :)

Have 65g hex, water column is 2'3". I have 4 truelumen pro LED coral lights, 3 12k & 1 actinic blue. LFS sold me his favorite mineral & element additives. I put in 1 mushroom frag & 1 zoa frag. Wana add more tho. My parameter on everything have read perfect for last 2 months. Anyone have suggestions on coral, element additive products or feeding products?

Nice corals! (y) I like the candycane idea too.

Its 65g & I do 10-15g water change every 2 weeks. I want to try & go as natural as possible but also want a lot of corals. Haven't added the product yet. gona look into the candy cane. Where I'm at I'm limited to just 2 LFS's w/ relatively small selection. How the success rate of online purchases? Any reliable sites?

My LFS owner looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested no additives just frequent water changes.

ClamSnorkler said:
My LFS owner looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested no additives just frequent water changes.

That's because he's selling you the additives lol. Carey is right, water changes are all your corals need. I've never added anything to my tank.

Any suggestions for a good looking coral that can host a willing clown?

really like what I'm finding & seeing on Duncan Coral...thx Carey, now does any1 no a good place to order from?

Clowns don't need to and aren't guarenteed to host anything. I've actually heard a number of stories of clowns hosting corals and killing or almost killing it. People who have hosting clowns also say they are less active in the tank, only staying near whatever it is they're hosting. If its something you want to try I've heard of them hosting frogspawn, torch, shrooms, hammers, toadstools, nems obviously, ect.

I also recommend saltwaterfish.com for inverts. I'm still undecided on fish from them but I can recommend Live Aquaria for fish.

And I'm with Carey on clowns hosting corals. Until I got a LT for my fire clown, he wanted to host my bubble coral which seems to irritate the coral. I actually once had one try to host a clam which was REALLY bad for the clam.

Yeah, 1 of the LFS's near me have a clown in a Huge clam. Gonna check the sights 2night & mayB make a few orders :)

Do the actinic blue lights do anything for coral growth or r they for show? Can I run them 24hrs or should I get the moon bulbs I hear about?

The actinics definatly help the corals grow. People run their lights for different amounts of time. If your fixture allows I would turn the blues on for an hour, then run blue and white together for 10ish hours or so, then just blues again for an hour. The led moonlights do nothing and aren't needed by the fish or corals. They are for your viewing pleasure when the lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom