New to Forum---HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nano-cube nut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Started my 24g Nano-cube DX on 3/29/05. I started using the Hagen Test Kits (LFS sells & uses them). After reading posts here I just changed to Seachem Test kits.

My questions are concerning Alk. and Cal.

Alk.---
The Hagen kits say good range is 105-125mg/L or ppm
I was testing at 210-230mg/L or ppm So this would mean I'm off the scale too HIGH!!
My new Seachem Test Kit says good range is 4-6meq/L
My tank is testing 4-5meq/L So this would be GOOD.
**I thought I had a real problem with my Alk. being sky high, now with the Seachem Kit it looks like I don't have a problem??? Which do I trust?

Cal.---
Using the Seachem Test, my tank tested at 265. I know this is too low, it should be 380-420 even if I don't want stoney corals. I have 30 lbs. of LR from LR.com and it's totally covered with coralline and I have 10 bluelegged hermits, 7 snails, 3 sm. crabs and will get a cleaner shrimp soon (only coral I have so far is a green star polyp). But now I'm confused, someone just told me I don't need to worry about my Cal. only being 265 if my LR is already covered in coralline cause it doesn't have much growing it can do so it doesn't need the Cal. I thought coralline used Cal. to live/thrive, not just to spread/grow, is this incorrect??

Please let me know any info. you have and PLEASE tell me what your tank tests for Alk. (let me know the tank size and test kit brand).

I tried another forum and not getting help, I hope you all here will help me!

Thanks in advance

Anyone out there? If you can't or don't choose to advise, please just let me know what your Alk. readings are (with tank size and test brand) PLEASE--PLEASE!!!

Thank you!!

Your Alk number looks fine (I keep my alk between 9 & 11 dKH which correlates to 3.2 and 4.0 meq/L) and my Ca I always keep around 425. I'm not sure what effect Ca has on established coraline, but I've never seen a rock so covered it couldn't use a little improvement :wink: Because Ca & Alk are so closely tied together I think you'll find that raising your Ca will cause a drop in your Alk (probably right into range). If you have trouble raising your Ca in spite of your best efforts take a look towards you Magnesium.

Good luck and Welcome to AA! The best place on the net for great advice on your aquarium.

Thank you Phyl for the post, will some more reefers PLEASE tell me your Alk. readings and your tank size and test kit brand you use!!! I need to know if my Alk. is in line with everyone else or HIGH!

Thanks

Go w/ the SeaChem test results. Your Alk is ok, but it is not balanced w/ your Ca right now. The two, Ca and Alk, go "hand in hand". They are related as Phyl also mentioned. The link I provided has a good article w/ a great chart describing where your tanks is at, how to correct it, and what numbers are good. FWIW, I run my tank at about 400 Ca 3.5meg/l Alk and use SeaChem test kits.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
Good luck.

MT79,
Thanks for the post, I'm doing what that article tells to do for my tank readings (I got it off this forum last week). But it says Alk. should be 2.5-4meq/L, so my readings at 4 & 5meq/L would be on the high side. It says to dose daily with Kent Liquid Calcium (that was one choice it gave) until I get my Cal. up. I've been doing the Lq. Cal. dosing daily for 7 days now and the Cal. has only gone to 265! Hope this will work, anyone else have low Cal. problems and how long did it take to correct?
Thanks

Try Kents Turbo Ca, works faster than the Liquid Ca. (someone else may have something better...) Also, a couple 20-25% water changes a few days apart will help get things closer to where they should be IME.

I would try doubling the dose and see what effect that has. If that doesn't start moving the number by 20-40 a day then double it again.

Back
Top Bottom