New to Salt Water with 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with upgrading the powerheads. two 750's should be good. I'm using a 1400 and a 950 aqueon in my 4 foot 90g tank now and its perfect flow. :)

Two 750's it is! Just gotta wait for the paycheck to hit the bank! :) So excited.

I've also changed my mind on clown/anemone idea...I'm the type of person who likes different things, so I'll probably just keep it at a FOWLR. I'll be asking about fish a little bit later once I'm close to getting my tank cycled (I have a few ideas).

Ok, I just read about my wattage for my lighting. I get about 3 1/2 watts per gallon. What type of coral/marine plants could I not have?

I just want to see how limiting my lighting system is.

I have a standard 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 size 75 gallon tank.

Actually, watts per gallon isnt the best way to look at things. :)

You have a 4 bulb fixture correct? What type of lamps do you have and do you know the name of the fixture, if it has individual reflectors thats a huge plus. It can make a huge difference in what you can keep.

You can also keep higher light demanding corals closer to the top like i do with my SPS. Seems to work just fine.

Ahh ok. Not a bad fixture. :) I think you'll have issues with SPS and some other hard corals, but if placed right you might be able to swing some. You're good to go in my opinion on the softies like zooas and leathers and LPS like torches and hammers. Since you only have 4 bulbs and an 18" width just take care when placing them.

I have to retro fit the top of my aquarium for the lighting to fit with the cover though... :( Other than that, I am happy with it.

Plus...I may just end up going FOWLR because I really like some fish that don't get along with corals...it's still up in the air! I've seen some people get around those issues before.

It's all really up to you. Some folks have had success with non-reef safe fish in a reef tank, but there's no certainty.

Ok, I have a question...I've got my live rock...it has sigificate die-off and it seems to be taking extra long for the nitrite to nitrate conversion. My assumption is that there is so much die-off, that the conversion isn't catching up yet because of that...btw my Ammonia levels are just under .5.

I'm also stalling, I think, because my PH is 7.6. Would it help the cycling to raise my PH by using power heads? (again, this is what I think the problem is, but not 100% sure)

Last edited:
Ok, I have a question...I've got my live rock...it has sigificate die-off and it seems to be taking extra long for the nitrite to nitrate conversion. My assumption is that there is so much die-off, that the conversion isn't catching up yet because of that...btw my Ammonia levels are just under .5.

I'm also stalling, I think, because my PH is 7.6. Would it help the cycling to raise my PH by using power heads? (again, this is what I think the problem is, but not 100% sure)

How long have you been cycling? It's not uncommon for the process to take 1-2 months. What have your nitrite ratings been through the cycle?

Considering you still have ammonia in your tank, your cycle doesn't seem to be stalling....there is conversion. If there was no ammonia, and your nitrites were not converting to nitrates in a sensible amount of time, then i'd be worried.

What kind of circulation do you have in your tank now? Ideally you should be cycling with PHs in your tank to create good flow. The pH is secondary.

I used some Bio-spira, and less than an hour later I had both nitrites and nitrates. I think it's "stalling" because I have the same exact readings for 5 days now.

As far as circulation goes...just my filter is running (sump w/ external pump)

I'm just going to hang in there...check every other day until my ammonia isn't showing (starting my tank with tap water as well and it naturally has an ammonia reading of around .25 and I have a shrimp buried in the sand)

Once I get cycled and have money, I'll buy a RODI unit to do my water changes. Also been leaving my lights off so I do not get an algae problem.

I'm not a fan of the cycle in a bottle things. Is your shrimp your ammonia source? I'd get it out of the sand and leave it in the water.

I'm not a fan of the cycle in a bottle things. Is your shrimp your ammonia source? I'd get it out of the sand and leave it in the water.

It's working the edges are sticking out...but since I manually stir up my water some times, I wanted it to stay put in the middle of the tank. I guess that would be another question. Is manually "stirring" my tank ok to do since I don't have great circulation yet? I will be getting power heads this weekend.

HA HA...yeah...I'm sure! Thank you for the input! :) If anyone else has any other tips/experice using Bio-spira, please let me know.

Ok, funny story...came home today my PH is up to 8.0 (I opened the top of my tank to allow for more air to the surface of the water, my nitrites and nitrates are half! My cycle is on it's way...

Nitrites 0 Nitrates 40 and Ammonia 0 and I still have my shrimp in the tank. :) I think I'm cycled, one water change away from getting my first buddy. Anyone have any advice on the first thing I should put in my tank? I have no algae, so probably no algae eaters (left my lights off).

Congratulations on finishing your cycle!! YAY!!!

Kinda depends on what you want to add. I would also wait on the clean up crew as you dont really have anything for them to eat. :)

What fish did you have in mind for stocking? maybe we can find one fish outta the list that would be a good first addition. :-D

Congrats on completing the cycle!

What about some kind of Clownfish (there are many kinds of Ocellaris that look really cool)? There are so many different kinds, you are sure to find one that you like! :)

Back
Top Bottom