Newbie - hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello....Im a newbie on here.
I am slowly building up my equipment to set up a saltwater tank...I will start it out with fish and then convert it into a reef.
I am debating whether or not to start it up with a 30gal tank i already have or wait until I can find and afford the 90gal I want.
I also am lookin at this skimmer
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40959

any advise will be good.
So far I have a Amiricle wet dry filter, I believe it is the maxi reef model. LOL its a start.
I am very experienced with freshwater (have had basically everything you can have....the best was my discus :lol: ) and some experience with salt but that was years ago and Im sure alot has changed in the last 5-10 yrs.
This looks like a good fourm so I look forward to reading and posting more on this :)

Welcome to AA :wave:

The only advice I can offer is, don't rush. If your goal is to have a 90 gal, then I would hold out for that tank. Although you can always upgrade, you will save yourself a ton in only buying equipment once. The same goes for your plans for a reef setup. Save yourself some money and keep "reef" in mind when buying your equipment. You'll be glad you did. :D

Yup...thats what Im doing...I jsut thought I could start out with the 30 to start getting water to cycle
Im building a stand for the 90 that i want :) and the wet/dry i have is rated for up to 150 and that skimmer is rated at about 125-150
lightin is the only thing Im not sure on, Im thinkin of building a custom hood with a retro fit with PC lights and leave room to add one or 2 MH

Exactly. The bigger the tank, the more forgiving it will be when it comes to water chemistry, as well as being less limited on your stocking.
As part of the gph, you can't really count the skimmer as it won't circulate the water like a ph would. I have a 90G and having 2-3 Maxijet 1200 ph's in there will be all you need for proper filtration. You will also get some filtration from your wet/dry pump. The rule of thumb here most of us use is the tank gallons x10. So you will want to turn the water over 900gph.
If you do plan on doing the reef, go ahead and get the lighting you will need to begin with. This is one of the most expensive parts of the hobby so you want to get what you need to first time. HTH

Mike

Keep coming by and ask questions. This board is chalked full of information, and someone will always reply to your thread. I almost forgot: WECOME TO AA! :p

Mike

[center:2bbbfebd2b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, pearsont74! :n00b: [/center:2bbbfebd2b]

We are a friendly and family oriented bunch, so if you could be so kind as to choose a new avatar, that would be appreciated :D

Back
Top Bottom