Newbie needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm used to freshwater but I've been wanting a salt water tank for a really long time I just need to know that basics of what I should do and get and also what should I put in the tank first a plant, shrimp, or fish. Plz either comment or send a PM to me thnx a bunch.

Welcome to the salty side, I love it. There are quite a few questions first.
1. Do you want a reef?
2. What size tank?
3. Are you interested in any fish in particular?
4. Basic filtration, what kind do you want to use.

I would like to have a reef it's a 40g tall I'm not really interested in any particular fish at this point and filtration a very slow flow

So I'm used to freshwater but I've been wanting a salt water tank for a really long time I just need to know that basics of what I should do and get and also what should I put in the tank first a plant, shrimp, or fish. Plz either comment or send a PM to me thnx a bunch.

This is the basics. You need high lighting to support corals if you want. You don't need corals though, you can just do fowlr. Your main filtration will be your live rock. I suggest going with dry base rock. It's safer to use because there's no chance if having deadly tag alongs with it. You can use hob, sumps, or canisters also. Skimmers help with water quality and I highly recommend them. You add your CUC first. It can take a week up to two months to cycle

I would like to have a reef it's a 40g tall I'm not really interested in any particular fish at this point and filtration a very slow flow

Alright, you probably need to invest in a new filter and quite a few powerheads for proper circulation. What's the hight of the tank?

Ummm honestly I really don't know the size of the tank I just know its a 40g tall I'm 16 and got it from my uncle

Ummm honestly I really don't know the size of the tank I just know its a 40g tall I'm 16 and got it from my uncle

No big, though I don't think those blue light will be enough to support coral. Mabye start a with a fowlr tank. You can always buy lights later on. You'll need something over 125 watts for coral. I'll look some up later and post a link. Your going need 40 pounds of live sand and 45+ of rock. The live sand will help seed the rock. The rock will be your filtration

Awesome lol wow your smarter than me with these tanks yeah I'm more used to freshwater predator tanks

Awesome lol wow your smarter than me with these tanks yeah I'm more used to freshwater predator tanks

Nah, I've never tried FW predators, unless the killer beta counts. I've just done lots of research. That's the key to saltwater, mine has just got done cycling. Get to add my CUC Friday. I suggest since your tank has more hight, try to build a mountain of rocks in the back leading up to the front. Make sure you invest in a ro/di filter for water. Trust me, you won't regret it

Sweet yeah if you could possibly post links to things I need that woudl be great

Back
Top Bottom