Newbie Starting Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys long time member here. So unfortunately I had to nuke my old FW set up when I moved into my new home.

I'm planning on converting my old 55 into a SW hence why I'm here. I know there are tons of info in these forums but I have specific questions on whether I'm able to use some of my older equipment, such as filters.

Particularly can I reuse my canister filter? It's an Eheim, can't remember the exact model.

Also I definitely want to build a sump. What would be an appropriate size for a 55? 20L or a 10? Do those tanks need to be drilled or am I okay with standard glass types?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are adding a sump to your system, then there is no need for a canister filter. They can be a pain and a nitrate trap if not cleaned weekly anyway.
In terms of appropriate size, the bigger is always better. I have a 20L on my 55 reef system.
Tanks do not have to be drilled to add a sump to the system. There are several HOB overflows on the market. I use a CPR on mine, as it isn't drilled, with a tom's aqualifter pump to help avoid any siphon loss. These aren't perfect and if I were to do it all over, I'd drill.

Truthfully canisters tend to be a no as they become nitrate factory, but Sniperhank is right about if your gonna have a sump then you don't need a canister. I also use a 20L on my 75g which was predrilled

Appreciate the responses. What's a good source for drilled tanks, or are there pre-drilled options?

Gl*******s.com sells the needed items, supposedly isn't hard to drill yourself. Or contact a local glass company, they might drill it for you. I bought my 90 reef ready (predrilled with plumbing).
Almost everyone that used a HOB overflow says they would drill if they had to do it over, food for thought.
Another thing to think about is the shape of your 55. They are very slender front to back which makes aquascaping a challenge. By no means any sort of deal breaker, just a random thought.
Since everyone else mentioned theirs, my sump is a 30long under my 90g.

Back
Top Bottom