Newbie to SW getting confused??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huge...like 4" across so far. I would not recommend them. They are predators. I saw one rip the arm off of a coral banded shrimp and eat it as it watched. I fear for my smaller fish.

Sometimes the fish will die hiding. Wouldn't it be more effective for the cuc to remove the waste instead of the protein skimmer taking days to remove the organic waste?

I agree that 'What goes in must come out' there will always be waste no matter what. BUT wouldn't it be better for a crab to eat a dead fish/decaying matter than for it to remain in the tank until the next vacuuming if unnoticed earlier. YET at what rate could a small crab eat a decent sized fish... I really like my hermit crabs now but I don't think I would've bought them had they not come w/ the tank--unless somebody like mr_X said, *You gotta have 'em* ;)

No CUC to speak of. In my 300 I have 2 sally lightfoot crabs, and no snails.

Very cool! I'm thinkin of getting an Emerald Crab. I'll start a new thread to hear everybody's thoughts. And thanks for your input on Anaerobic... I was concerned it'd do damage to my tank (gasses, etc.), not trying to benefit from the Anaerobic bacteria. That's a relief it's not affecting anything.

Anaerobic bacteria is what makes live rock a natural filter.

Yeah, but I'm talking Anaerobic pockets in the sand causing hydrogen sulfide, etc to be released in the water column. We were discussing sand, stirring, etc. & I thought CUC was essential for this, but I guess it's not.

Yes, but in a 1" deep sand bed, you don't have to worry about that. There will never be enough to make a difference.

Yes, but in a 1" deep sand bed, you don't have to worry about that. There will never be enough to make a difference.

That's good. Thks! IJS I *had thought* ALL anaerobic type pockets in sand were bad. Anaerobic, in general, is good in saltwater I've learned from you as long as there's not large releases of gasses into the water column--I'm guessing b/c rock would release it slowly since it's not as malleable as sand is, there wouldn't be any large pockets of undesirable gasses. I really didn't know what the Live Rock was doing in SW just knew I needed it. I just assumed it was a place for Nitrifying bacteria to hang out on like in FW & Live Rock is just similar to the natural environment to the type of fish that live in SW. It's interesting to know there's Anaerobic bacteria going on too!

Back
Top Bottom