Newbie with a tank size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David03

Aquarium Advice Regular
First, thanks to everyone for participating in this forum. This site along with the books (Fenner, Kurtz and Goldstein) have been awesome, and have been incredibly informative.

So I'm finally ready to take the plunge and begin to get a tank going... a 100 - 125g reef tank (with fish). I was thinking of doing a set up, exactly like the one that Lando and Shemp22 discussed earlier. Went to the local LFS to see what I might pay for it.

This shop seems very reputable.

The owner suggested that if I'm looking to do a reef tank, that I ought to maybe go smaller (and cheaper???). He said that it is easier to control the parameters and that it is much less work with the water changes and cleaning. Suggested a 75g or 90g tank. He said that if I was definitely doing fish only, that bigger is better. I was under the impression that bigger was always better, because larger was inherently more stable. Now I'm confused.

He also stated that using tap water would cause excessive algae, and that I should buy water or get a R/O or deionizer. Maybe it's something with the suburban DC Maryland water...

Do you have any thoughts?

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks in advance
David

And all of my "cycling,""set up" and "stocking" questions will hopefully soon follow... :D [/code]

Your LFS guy offers good adivce. I agree that if you want to do a full-blown reef a 75 will a nice place to start. When you factor in 150lbs of LR, LS and appropriate reef lighting the price tag does climb. Many of the reef safe fish are smaller anyways. If doing a FOWLR and you want triggers and angels and such, th do require a very large tank.
He said that it is easier to control the parameters and that it is much less work with the water changes and cleaning.
Actually, the more water volume you have the more stable the tank will be. Larger systems are easier to control and flucuate much less. He is right on in cleaning and maintanance. Adding a sump or fuge to a 75 or 90 gal will certainly add water volume and give you a place to put equipment. Sounds like you have done your homework and you actually have found a LFS that offers good advice. Looking forward to watching the progress...Lando

Lando,
Thanks so much.

Looks like I'll start looking at the smaller tanks, then! And I was planning on getting a clown, a tang or two, a flame angel and some small ones like gobies, so I guess I don't need to go too huge.

And your reply leads me to the next question. I noticed that many of the 90g tanks have a footprint that is identical to the 75, and that the only difference is really in the height of the tank. If that is the case, I guess the 75 is the better tank, for lighting purposes and gas exchange (and cleaning). And probably won't be a huge difference for the fish, since they live more horizontally than vertically.

Would that be your rationale behind mentioning the 75g in the post above?

And yes, I think I got lucky and found a good LFS.

Thanks again for all your input.

Your fish list looks good except you may have problems with the flame angel in a reef tank. Also a 75g IMO would be the minimum for one small growing tang.

If I were you, I would go with a 75g to start if your doing reef. The price is going to be great, but with time and alot of patience it will be very rewarding. Sounds like your off to a great start!

And your reply leads me to the next question. I noticed that many of the 90g tanks have a footprint that is identical to the 75, and that the only difference is really in the height of the tank. If that is the case, I guess the 75 is the better tank, for lighting purposes and gas exchange (and cleaning). And probably won't be a huge difference for the fish, since they live more horizontally than vertically.
Correct! A 75 will be a bit eaier to light. You can get by with 150 or 175 MH lamps. A 90gal would require at least 250's to pnetrate to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom