Newbies list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, tank is halfway through cycling so I'm looking at stocking list, as below a 30gal tank with 20kgs LR & clean bottom.

Is this a good list for this tank? I wish to add a few soft corals in atleast 6 months time...

Also if you agree with the below, is the order right for adding to the tank...

6-12 various snails
2 Cleaner shrimps
1 peppermint shrimp
1 blood shrimp
1 candy shrimp
1 red starfish
1 blue starfish
some crabs (dunno which though?)
feather dusters
Urchin

1 or 2 clown fish
1 royal gramma
1 Banggai cardinal
1 or 2 firefish (standard & purple)
1 or 2 Neon goby

How does that sound? I'm thinking of 5 fish from the above list. Of course adding 1 fish per fortnight or even per month apart from if I have 2 clowns which would be added together.

Am I right in thinking the top half Invertebrates can be added almost at once since they don't hurt the balance of the tank?

Cheers Shelton.

I would say you could keep 4 at most comfortable in a 30; i.e. pair of clowns & 2 others - others may have other opinions of course but I think 3-4 is more like it, I am thinking 4 in my 45 FWIW...

I agree...three or four fish max. Pair of percs, royal gramma and a goby would be nice. I am not sure if I would add anymore then that. For a new tank, add them slowly. Good luck...Lando

Thanks, any of those above fish in my list that you would make sure to add first or last?

Also does my Invertebrates list seem ok?

Cheers Shelton.

the invert list looks good, snails and crab can be added after cycling the tank (hardy) give a little time and make sure things are stable before slowly adding the others...also I'm not sure about 4 shrimp co-existing in a 30...maybe some of the more experienced guys will chime in on that one...I think it may be too many

I've heard the Blue Starfish are very difficult to keep in captivity and die due to starvation.Do some research before buying anything and you will be happier in the long run.

SABOB, I'm looking into getting a blue starfish, you have any references for me to read?

(sorry, not trying to jack the thread)

I think they need an established aquarium to thrive. That's probably why the track record might not be so great since most people don't wait long enough.

I'd go with at least 1 snail per gallon and 1 hermit per 2 gallons as a cleanup crew. If you use Il. obseletta (not even trying for the right spelling here) snails, they'll stay hidden during the day so the large #'s of them won't mess up the view. Then maybe 3 fish, 4 max. If you get gobies that will stay real small you could get more in the same space. And maybe switch out the peppermint for a skunk cleaner. The peppermint will hide most of the time, the skunks are very active and visible.

gl

Excellent!

keep up the thoughts, I'll certainly leave the blue starfish until last, I'll be alright with the red one?

Since I have a bare bottomed tank are there any other starfish that are reef safe that I might get instead of the blue?

Cheers Shelton.

Just stay away from chocolate chip stars and green brittle stars.

**update**

got back from the LFS about 45mins ago, now acclimatising a strawberry gramma (the royal gramma I was getting has a problem with one eye, so LFS wouldn't sell him) Also got a peppermint shrimp & 2 featherdusters.

Gonna start a new thread about starfish....

Cheers Shelton.

Since its sooo exciting to have something in the tank I thought I'd update!

within 5 mins of being released into the tank the peppermint was eating off the LR :)

The gramma shot straight behind the PH to start with, but has now made his home in a piece of LR which has a huge cave in it, the back is open & in the front is a small window which he pops out of, he hasn't gone more than half way across the tank as of yet but hopefully in the next day or so he'll get more brave :mrgreen:

Cheeers Shelton.

Certainly is!

I was worried about the peppermint & whether it would eat, but watching it late last night he was really tugging at stuff on the LR that when he got one bit of the force made him do a back flip :roll:

The gramma comes out for a minute or so to explore & then disappears again, the LFS said he'd been fed about an hour before I picked him up so should I try feeding him later today or leave it until tomorrow?

Cheers Shelton.

Yeah you want to do it sparingly at first. What will you be feeding it? Be careful with flakes because they can contain phosphates and cause algae problems if left uneaten.

The LFS said jut to give him brine shrimp for now whilst he's the only fish...

bit of advice though please... today he's ALOT more brave, in fact he chased the poor peppermint shrimp round the tank twice & seemed to bite him, now I don't know whether I didn't notice it before but the peppermint is now missing 2 legs one side! I really can't say whether the gramma did it, can't see the legs on the bottom of the tank either so it is possible he came like this?

I decided at that point to try feeding the gramma so I scraped about a teaspoons worth off one of the frozen brine cubes & put that in, boy did he chase & eat that!!!

That amount works out to be about half a cube, is this about the right amount for one fish? or should I give more/less? I can't really say for sure whether it was all eaten as the PH's blew it around the tank, should I have turned those off first before feeding?

Of course now the peppermint is under a piece of LR where the gramma can't get to him, do you think the gramma was being aggressive or just hungry?

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom