Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffballurchin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a major problem. My friend was suppose to take care of my tank ended up flooding my tank with RO water since he accidentally left the RO switch on. As a result everything dropped. I don't blame him it was just an accident I have learned not to trust my tank to just anyone :p. The biggest problem was that no one noticed that the nitrate reactor was plugged. While it was plugged it created nitrates instead of removing them. As a result my nitrates shot up to over 110 >.<. I am currently in the process of doing major water changes. I just did a 30% water change on Sunday. I will be doing another two on Tuesday and Friday. I have never done so many water changes at once and never had nitrates over 20 (was over feeding corals ; ;). I am wondering water levels should I be checking during these water changes. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the nitrates. I am already adding boosters for Ph and Mag due to the massive amount of fresh water added to the system >.<. Any suggestions would be great.

Some good news God really loves me since absolutely nothing died and everyone looks ok and acting normally. Even my corals and cucumbers are alive!

Keep up on pwc's, cut back on feeding for a few days. You could also try gently vacuuming sand if its really dirty. Oh and gently clean the filter media in outgoing tank water. I wouldn't do all these at once as it could have ill effects on other aspects, start off with one or two and wait it out, then re-test. I'm having same issue right now.

Back
Top Bottom