Nitrite problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikycamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank 55 gal live sand,live rock,3 damsels.
Started 3/3/2005 with real sea water
4 days ago I took a water sample to the store and they did a complete test;everything was fine but the nitrites were high,they told me to do a 15 gal water change wich I did;the problem is that I keep having a nitrite reading of 0.50 with the test kit that you add the 5 drops and with the other test kit I have,the one that you add the powder the reading is 0.2.
This readings are the same every of this four days.
I need help or advise of what to do next.
Thanks

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

The reason for the nitrites is the tank has not properly cycled yet and shouldn't have (added) life in it. Generally speaking the cycle goes ammonia 7-10 days, nitrite 2-6 weeks and then nitrates will begin to form near the end of the cycle. Until both ammonia and nitrite are undetectable without the need for water changes the tank will not be properly cycled and ready for life to added to it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advise.
I put the damsels(chromies)under the store's advise,Im completely new to this and want to do it right,I knew that place only wanted to get my $ when two weeks after I started the tank I passed by and the lady told me that I should start to put fishes in it and try to push a sale,thank god I caught some vibe I didnt like and didnt bought anything,that is when I turned to the internet for knowledge on the subject.
Anyway the damsels were a couple weeks ago hiding behind the rocks and in a corner of the tank,it lasted for 4 or 5 days and after that they seem very normal and eating good.
I have another question ;that lady at the store sold me from the go 3 bottles and the instructions to add a capful of each once a week,the bottles are iodine,liquid calcium and iron;do you think that may be affecting the proper cycle timing?.
Thanks again for your advise.

u dont need to bother with the chemicals ...the tank is cycling...and could do so for 1-2 months...
i would take out the fish (damsels r hardy and MAY handle the tanks cycle)
but...when u want to add fish later u will find it difficult for sure, as they r nasty critters.
ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 all the time

nikycamp said:
I have another question ;that lady at the store sold me from the go 3 bottles and the instructions to add a capful of each once a week,the bottles are iodine,liquid calcium and iron;do you think that may be affecting the proper cycle timing?.
None of these will affect the cycle but they will however cause you many unfortunate problems if used incorrectly or without need. While the tank is cycling, it really needs nothing in the way of additives. Once the cycle is done then do a very large water change with well aged/aerated SW do bring the water chemistry back into balance. The cycle wreaks havoc but during that time and there's no point in trying to maintain much unless using uncured freshly harvested LR.

Iodine unless properly tested for can easily poison the tank killing invertebrates and severely stressing fish. Most animals in aquaria gain iodine through the consumption of foods, not directly from the water so it's for the most part not a "required" addition. If you do proceed, test before you add.

CaCl additives will eventualy raise the level of Ca within your tank substatially if there is nothing in the tank depositing CaCO3 fast enough to keep up with your additions. Again, this is something that needs to be tested before it's added. Ca is used by many organisms but until there is an abundance, you don't need to add anything at this point. The Ca may come in handy a few months down the road though.

Iron is an additive that promotes algae growth. For the most part it is used for enhancing colonies of macro algaes when used in a refugium environemnt. While the tank is still young, the same iron additions will fuel wild growth in nuisance and unwanted algaes. This is an additive I would use with caution and be sure you need at all.

As with many of these additives you'll run across, the best advise is never add anything to your tank you can't test for and always test before you add. Also ask yourself why your adding it and why it's been recommended and then research to find out how much truth or need there is for it. In many aspects, a new tank needs no additives. While the tank matures the best thing for it is weekly water changes. Depending on the salt you have, it should do most of what you need for the time being.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for all the advise guys,today tested the water again and finally looks that its getting there.
The ammonia is at 0,the nitrites are 0.25 ,the nitrate is at 20 and the ph is 8.2 .
This is the beggining of the 7th. week of this thank cycling.

They sold you chemicals you don't need, started you out with damsels, and to sell you fish before your tank was cycled. Sounds like you should look for a new LFS. 3 strikes and your out.

Back
Top Bottom