Noober

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
My name is Josh Adams and I'm addicted to fish! After maintaining a 10g FW for the past 3 years, I've decided to take part in the coolest hobby on earth. My wonderful wife bought me a 54G Reef Ready corner bow front for Christmas, and I haven't stopped reading about SW since. I actually just got the tank up and running last night. 24 hours later, these were my levels:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

Does this mean I'm nearing the end of the cycle?

Also, please check out my photo album. I'd like some feedback regarding my aquascaping and refugium. Thanks and I look forward to conversing with all of you.

If you set up the tank yesterday you haven't even started your cycle yet.
What is your substrate?
Do you have any base or live rock? How much?
You need a source of ammonia to start the cycle.

Read the articles on this forum and check the links in signature.

welcometoaa.gif

Oh, as you are seeing nitrates in an unicycled tank, I'm going to assume you filled the tank with tap water.
Check your tap water for nitrates and phosphates.

You really want to get a RODI (reverse osmosis/deionized) filter for making all water to be used in the tank.

Some more reading for you.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria

Welcome aboard. Moving this to the SW getting started forum. You`ll get more answers there.

If you set up the tank yesterday you haven't even started your cycle yet.
What is your substrate?
Do you have any base or live rock? How much?
You need a source of ammonia to start the cycle.

Read the articles on this forum and check the links in signature.

welcometoaa.gif

The substrate is 60lbs of live sand. I also have 45 lbs of live rock and 15lbs of base rock. I inquired at my LFS about placing a raw shrimp to start the cycle, but was told it was not necessary due to the live sand/LR. Am I misinformed?

if the live rock is uncured, you should see ammonia shortly. if not, you'll need to add ammonia, via something rotting like the shrimp.
btw, live sand in sealed bags is not really live. bacteria can't sit in a sealed bag and live for very long..it will use up whatever food source is in the bag and then die.

Back
Top Bottom