17 days into the cycle - Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackieplz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to aquariums and am looking for a bit of feedback regarding my setup. My intentions are to establish a healthy tank then build a small aquaponics setup on the tank. My goal was to do this around Christmas time but I want to make sure my tank is on the right track.

I made the mistake of purchasing guppies before fully running through the cycle. The PetSmart workers assured me it would be fine but after reading through forums I realize I should have waited to add fish.

AQAURIUM SETUP
With that being said, I have a 10 gallon tank with four male guppies and four live plants. Two of the plants came from established aquariums and two came from the gel, plastic tubes that big box pet stores sell. One of the plants from the established aquarium must have had a couple snails hidden in it because I've noticed two very small snails in the tank.

I've been occasionally using Seachem Stability and Seachem Prime, although its unclear to me at this point when I should be using them. I've read so much conflicting information regarding this.

I've been logging my water levels using the API Freshwater Master Test kit.
(The formatting of this is getting messed up when I hit submit, I'm not sure how to make it stay but the numbers for each date read from left to right as PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Treatment)

Date PH NH3 NO2 NO3 Treatment
29-Nov 7.6 0.5 0.5 0.0
30-Nov 7.2 0.25 0.5 5.0
1-Dec 7.2 0.25 0.5 5.0 1/2 cap of stability
2-Dec 7.2 0 0.5 5.0
3-Dec No test
4-Dec 7.2 0.25 0.5 0.0
5-Dec 7.2 0.25 0.5 5.0 20% water change
6-Dec No test
7-Dec 7.2 0.25 5.0 10.0 1/2 cap stability 1/5 prime
8-Dec 7.2 0.25 1.0 5.0
9-Dec No test
10-Dec 7.2 0.25 2.0 10.0 1/4 cap stability 1/5 cap prime
11-Dec 7.2 0.25 2.0 10.0
12-Dec No test
13-Dec 7.2 0.25 2.0 10.0

I posted on the aquariums subreddit and was assured to just wait, the cycle is doing its thing.

However, my concern lies with the fact that I never saw an Ammonia spike. It's been steadily reading 0.25 ppm while Nitrites and Nitrates have risen and held steady around 2ppm (Nitrites) and 10 ppm (Nitrates). Is this normal?

Also, are these levels safe for my fish? I want to avoid any casualties as I've become fond of the little guys.

Should I continue dosing with any Seachem product, or be doing water changes?

Any help/advice is appreciated and thank you for letting me a part of your community! I can upload a picture if that will help.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to aquariums and am looking for a bit of feedback regarding my setup. My intentions are to establish a healthy tank then build a small aquaponics setup on the tank. My goal was to do this around Christmas time but I want to make sure my tank is on the right track.

I made the mistake of purchasing guppies before fully running through the cycle. The PetSmart workers assured me it would be fine but after reading through forums I realize I should have waited to add fish.

AQAURIUM SETUP
With that being said, I have a 10 gallon tank with four male guppies and four live plants. Two of the plants came from established aquariums and two came from the gel, plastic tubes that big box pet stores sell. One of the plants from the established aquarium must have had a couple snails hidden in it because I've noticed two very small snails in the tank.

I've been occasionally using Seachem Stability and Seachem Prime, although its unclear to me at this point when I should be using them. I've read so much conflicting information regarding this.

I've been logging my water levels using the API Freshwater Master Test kit.
(The formatting of this is getting messed up when I hit submit, I'm not sure how to make it stay but the numbers for each date read from left to right as PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Treatment)

Date PH NH3NO2NO3Treatment
29-Nov7.60.50.50.0
30-Nov7.20.250.55.0
1-Dec7.20.250.55.01/2 cap of stability
2-Dec7.200.55.0
3-DecNo test
4-Dec7.20.250.50.0
5-Dec7.20.250.55.020% water change
6-DecNo test
7-Dec7.20.255.010.01/2 cap stability 1/5 prime
8-Dec7.20.251.05.0
9-DecNo test
10-Dec7.20.252.010.01/4 cap stability 1/5 cap prime
11-Dec7.20.252.010.0
12-DecNo test
13-Dec7.20.252.010.0

I posted on the aquariums subreddit and was assured to just wait, the cycle is doing its thing.

However, my concern lies with the fact that I never saw an Ammonia spike. It's been steadily reading 0.25 ppm while Nitrites and Nitrates have risen and held steady around 2ppm (Nitrites) and 10 ppm (Nitrates). Is this normal?

Also, are these levels safe for my fish? I want to avoid any casualties as I've become fond of the little guys.

Should I continue dosing with any Seachem product, or be doing water changes?

Any help/advice is appreciated and thank you for letting me a part of your community! I can upload a picture if that will help.
Plants help the cycle. Chances are the plants might be using the ammonia and creating nitrates. I would also exercise patience. If your fish are still alive and happy the cycle may have already happened. What are you using for testing? Strips or the masterkit?

Also Prime is great for when you add new water after a water change. It doesn't do what it says on the bottle but it will help detoxify the chlorine that is found in tap water that would otherwise create ammonia. I always use with water changes but water changes are the only thing effective against ammonia.

Looks like you are doing a fish in cycling, this is much different than a fish-less. Read here about cycling a tank. A Fish In Cycle will take care to help your fish survive. Your plants will take care of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. How fast? Don't know. However your filter media may take a long time to develop bacteria since bacteria need ammonia and your plants may be sucking it all up.

Back
Top Bottom