Ok here is my first question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jprince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

As posted before, this is my first try @ salt. I have a few questions I'm sure you have heard a million times, but please bare with me. My info is as follows.
  • 45 gallon with 60 lbs LS and 55 lbs uncured LR
  • Marineland Biowheel 350
  • Marineland 1140 300GPH powerhead
  • Whisper heater
My tank has been running for 4 days now, and here are the test results as of this afternoon.

• PH = 7.8
  • Ammo = .50
  • Trite = 1.0
  • Trate = 20 PPM
  • SG = .020 @ 78 F
Here is the question. I know my PH is a tad low, but the Ammo and Trites have remained the same. No rise or "spike" yet that I can tell. The Trates showed up today. Is my tank in fact "cycling"? What should I do to maintain my PH? I have been testing everyday, and would have thought I would see a change by now. I am using API saltwater master test kit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Those #'s look more like the end of a cycle, not the 4th day. Regardless, you will be done cycling when ammonia is 0. You're SG is on the low side too. 1.023 - 1.026 is recommended. I wouldn't worry about pH during cycling, but do you have a lid on the tank?

No lid on the tank. I know one will raise my PH, but wouldn't that affect my oxygenation? It seems like a catch 22. I know the SG is also a bit low, but I was going to wait for a water change before raising it. Would that be acceptable? Thanks for the advice.

1.020 is fiine for a FO or FOWLR tank, but I would still bump up the SG a tad. The tank is still cycling so no big deal to mix a gallon up to 1.035 and use that for top off water.

I would expect the ammonia to spike much higher in the next day or two. If it doesn't then you should add a raw shrimp to kick start the cycle.

Thanks for putting up with the newbie questions you guys! I just want to be sure I do it right the first time. Thanks again!:D

Jeff

:smilecolros:Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!:smilecolros:
Sounds like you are off to a ggod start. Keep an eye on water paramters and once NH3 and NO2 spike and fall to zero, you will notice a large spike in NO3. At this time do a sizable (50%) water change and test agian in a couple of days. If all is well you are cycled and can start to SLOWLY add livestock.

Back
Top Bottom