Outer Orbit HQI VS. Nova T5 Extreme Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to decide between these two lights. The tank is a 46 gallon bowfront, 36 inches wide, 15 inches deep. The outer Oribit is a 150 MH with 2 96w compact fluorescents and 4 lunar lights for a total of 342 watts. The Nova Extreme pro has 3 39w 10,000k, and 3 39w 460 actinic lights for a total of 234 watts. The NOva extreme pro is about $150 cheaper. Is there any reason I should with the more expensive Mh/pc combo? Is 342 watts overkill? Would I have to add a fan?

Please help

It really depends on if/what corals you want. If you are doing a FOWLR then you are good to go. I have the Nova on my 55 G and have a small colony of button polyps and some zoas (all were hitchhikers) that seem to be doing fine, actually I may need to frag the zoas. So decide on if you want corals or fish only and then we can help you decide from there.

I definately want corals, but can't you do corals with either fixture?

Sure, but your lighting will dictate what types of corals you can add to the tank. We'll have to let the reefers chime in, as they know waaaaay more about what you can add than I do.

Back
Top Bottom